Taste of Naim

So I’ve been wanting to get a little taste of Naim. It’s expensive in the USA, for goodness sake, give us a break, lol. My speakers are Dynaudio Evoke 20’s. I only stream, and I already have a Roon server and a DAC. Would the Nait 5si be a good entry or should I try to find a XS 2 used? Would they be a good match for the Dyn’s?

Thanks for any consideration.

Hi, I think you will find a Nait5si underpowered for those Dynaudios, which like a bit of power to get them going. While an XS would be better, you really want the extra power of a Supernait to get the most from them.
I realise that’s a more expensive option, and I dare say US pricing doesn’t help although you might hope that would change given the exchange rate right now.
Sorry if that’s not what you were hoping to hear. With the right speakers those lesser amps can sound really good, but I don’t think they are the best choice with the Dyns.

The Evoke 20 aren’t very efficient. 86db, 6 ohm’s. I had Dynaudio Special 40’s with Naim SN2 and a HiCap DR it was underpowered. I’d suggest a home demo to make sure it all works for you.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, not good news, but honest. The only saving grace, maybe, is that I don’t really listen louder than low 80ish decibels.

Thanks. Yeah definitely doing a home demo with Naim and a Rega.

I’d go for a used Supernait 2. Excellent value at what they can be had for these days. It could easily be the last amp you need.

6 Likes

Yeah, $3k or less isn’t bad.

I got mine for under 3k in Canada, so I would think 2k would do it in the US. The SN2 sounds excellent.
Best of luck.

1 Like

I agree that a used SN2 would be a very good option.

2 Likes

For a full dollop of the flavour of Naim treat yourself to used nac202/nap200 combo, extremely good value and way way better than any of the amps so far mentioned - the 202 has no inboard power to soil the music signal (powered by the nap200) and can be upgraded by adding out board power sources (napsc and hicap or hicap-dr) should u develop Naim Syndrome whilst the nap200 has enough power to drive most speakers. Both can be had used for <$2k, cost around £6k new!

2 Likes

I think you just have to try them for yourself, preferably at home. Often on here not enough credit is given to the Nait amps. To suggest a 2.5k Naim integrated isn’t up to driving a 1.9k pair of bookshelves is pretty insulting to Naim. Of course the better amps will sound better but my Mk1 Nait XS is more than happy driving my Evoke 50’s. My next upgrade will be my amp but I’m in no rush whatsoever, it sounds wonderful as it is.

2 Likes

I agree catorob, I don’t think Naim make a poor amp, I have a Superuniti2 which continues to surprise and impress me- and it’s not just the Nait amps that many discredit, you’d be forgiven for thinking that a 202 must be utter rubbish if this forum was your only research tool

3 Likes

I’ll need to look around. Most are about $5k for the combo I can find.

This is another vote for patient shopping on auction sites. SN2 would be a great choice, but so would embracing old kit and getting 82, 250 and Hicap - either option could be had for £3K in the UK. A 5Si isn’t a daft idea, but buying older kit will get more for your money.

3 Likes

Hell fire! If u mean the 202/200 there is a 202 on a well known suction site right now here in uk for £480 and a nap200 £800 so £1300 or approx $1600

The good thing is that here in the States you can save quite a bit of money by buying “gently used” Naim gear. Check the listings on Audiogon. My go-to Naim dealer who is just outside of Chicago puts his trade-in gear on there often. And if there is something specific you want, such as a Supernait 2 or 3 (both good pairings for you), just reach out to him and tell him what you’re looking for. That’s really the most cost-effective way to do this; buy “gently used.”

1 Like

Lol! ‘Gently’ used!! I think most naim gear tends to be cherished and is designed to be used flat out should you not have neighbours or a care for your hearing… it is mostly always gently used but i agree that used kit is a safe bet and excellent value

2 Likes

I would source vintage gear and have it serviced.

Pre 32, 72 or 82 if you can stretch that far