TdF 2020

Interesting news from Team Ineos; Geraint Thomas and Chris Froome not in the squad to lead the Giro and Vuelta respectively. Bernal wil be the Tour leader, with Carapaz as No2 I would imagine.

Feels a bit ‘end of era’ but Brailsford typically unsentimental. Mind you Bernal and Ineos did not have a happy Dauphine so maybe Sky/Ineos are generally on the back foot this year. Brave to bet against them being ready come the Grand Depart of course.

I note Roglic and Dumoulin both expected to ride for Jumbo-Visma in the Tour although the former had a fall at the Dauphine. Very strong support squad too.

This year’s Tour starts 29th August.

1 Like

I was very surprised Thomas was left out, especially as Luke Rowe is in the team and he normally supports him. I hope he can go and win the Giro now, that would be great.

I don’t think Froomes form is there this year after last years crash but I reckon he will go for it next year with his new Israeli team…

Great to have the pro cycling back on tv imo.

Neither G or Froome impressive at all in Dauphine so not surprised. But agree it will be great to have ITV4 coverage back on - always a summer highlight

1 Like

I thought the Jumbo-Visma team looked very strong in the Dauphine, I would be very surprised if Ineos can pull it off.

I think the Yates brothers…if both selected… will be the only British element with any potential.With Froome…G…Cav and Dowsett not riding GB will be thin on the ground.

Haven’t seen Bahrain-McLaren roster for the Tour yet have we?

No…im going on form so far…

Going to be a wide open Tour with so little racing days in everyone’s legs. Surprised Thomas has missed out, not surprised about Froome - DB has a long track record of being ruthless in the pursuit of victory but I don’t think this is their year. Quite fancy Alaphilippe to cause panic again - he’s a throwback to the days of panache and racing on feel which made me fall in love with the sport

1 Like

Also it’s going to feel very strange watching at this time of year - my real interest in the season is February to mid April when the real men come out to play in Belgium…

2 Likes

So I was right, no Cav or Dowsett. Only Luke Rowe and Adam Yates to make any UK impact, stage wins for Yates . Hugh Carthy and Conor Swift hopefully will establish themselves in their teams.
Second win for Bernal in the end is my prediction. Will be a great race. Nice is a nice place to start!

Yeeehaa! 20 more minutes and we’ll switch on the Telly.

Enjoyed watching Lizzie Deignan :uk: (Trek-Segafredo) take the La Course stage win today, and a very close win putting Marianne Vos :netherlands: (CCC-Liv) into 2nd place at a 1/4 bike length!

<>

Meanwhile in the UK; stage One of the TdF can be watched live right now on ITV4

Anyone else going to be glued to the Telly this afternoon? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Oh yes… timing is great for me…i retire today… can watch every day live!

2 Likes

I assume this thread will run throughout the next three weeks… can I respectfully request no spoilers… in case some people only get to see the evening highlights?

1 Like

@Debs Watching it now on Eurosport, conditions not the best for the riders!

1 Like

Exciting first day. Excellent finish.

1 Like

Way more fun than F1.

1 Like

Yes, lucky they didn’t postpone it until December! :upside_down_face: :christmas_tree:

But it will be very strange watching the TdF in September,
hopefully they will get sunny dry autumnal days that are not too hot.

1 Like

Tour de Fall…as in season! :blush:

2 Likes

Trek got their tactics spot on at La Course.
I know Lizzie’s parents quite well having ridden with them. They will be made up :smiley:

1 Like