TdF 2020

(Also posted in the ‘Nice’ photos thread)

Yesterday was the first rain in Nice for months, so not surprising the roads became very greasy!

Today, normal weather has resumed, happily!

It’s a great atmosphere in the city, albeit one with masks on.

3 Likes

The descent of the " bootlace" today is a truly magical sight. Descending is a true art and takes incredible strength.
On another note, just read some comments about yesterday’s stage by Wiggins. Time he just wound his neck in.

1 Like

I’ve lived in Nice for thirteen years, and I have never even driven that road. Something I shall correct relatively soon I think. But cycling it would be beyond me I fear.

My friend said that Wiggins’ commentary sounds like ‘someone on really bad cocaine’…

1 Like

As opposed to good cocaine…ofcourse.

What a great day!

3 Likes

Anymore predictions for the future, just ask…:joy::joy:!!! Today was built for him, I didn’t expect him to show his cards this early though

1 Like

Alaphilippe and Yates will take some stages but I still put Bernal as overall

It’s a long race with heavy attrition. Predictions are almost pointless unless you are a betting person. It’s got so much going for it though: great sport. great athletes, wonderful scenery, real characters (Tom Dumoulin does such good interviews) and interesting French history.

1 Like

I think we need to cross our fingers that the race will actually reach Paris. Covid numbers have really ticked up throughout France and however careful they are, and however important it may be to the French sporting psyche, I think there is a far chance it may have to be cancelled at some point. The Govt have indicated that they can and will do this if they feel it is the right thing.

Doing this with a Frenchman in the lead may of course be a way to avoid re-election though!

I point out the usual caveats about comparing older data with different access and policies for testing etc but the recent numbers (ie the last month) are probably reasonably comparable.

Foggy castles this year instead of sunny castles!

The weather in the Pyrenees could definitely be a bit lively this time of year. I have been in September several times and it can go through most seasons in a few hours. Thunder storms too.

2 Likes

Last of the Alpes Maritimes Tour de France!
I hadn’t realised until last night that it passed through the village next to mine (Pont du Loup).
At least explains why the road was recently resurfaced (when it needed it less than other local roads do). I had noticed that.

Looked as though they might get rained on soon after, the skies were looking grey Grasse-wards.

3 Likes

Nice pics, thanks.

Even though I live here, every year I see the TV coverage and just want to be there. Today those shots of the region are just beautiful.

3 Likes

A masterclass today in many things…the main one being spotting a gap that no one else dare take.

2 Likes

Stage 3 :sleeping: i fell asleep with 50 kilometres to go, and awoke when i heard the commentator speak louder - which was on the final 900 meters :laughing:

At least with Jerome Cousin’s heroic but ultimately doomed breakaway effort they had a candidate for the Combative award :medal_sports:

<>

Tomorrow’s stage [ Tuesday Stage 4 ] looks far more interesting, at 160 kilometres it’s short enough for fireworks along the rollercoaster way of three 3 category climbs and one 4 cat, plus to end with a cat 1 summit finish at Ocières-Merlette where no serious GC rider will want to get left behind.
We should see many changes in the top 20 after :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

And a great stage win to Caleb, one of unfortunately only 2 Aussies in this years race.

As usual fantastic scenery, stunning.

3 Likes

Coldest I have ever been was coming over the Tourmalet in early September in freezing rain to get to our overnight accomodation. I had uncontrolled shivering such that I could barely control the bike - which was also shivering - on the descent. Never been anywhere near as cold in all the years of cycling in North Yorks. Scary…

Plenty to enjoy during Tuesday’s race, though the barrier jump was a bit worrying - happily he didn’t go far and the landing was soft!

2 Likes

Looking at the wreckage of his bike it seems he was able to make bike take brunt - thankfully! Looking at today’s course my money is on a Sagen stage win

Sagan. Getting him confused with lovely US astronomer who made great tv programmes when I was growing up in 70’s !

2 Likes