Tea - what are our favourites, how do we have it?

It’s mostly green tea for me. I like a lightly cherry flavored tea for breakfast and usually organic sencha during the day. Currently one called Seongwang from South Korea.

3 Likes

Yorkshire or tetley brewed in the mug with 5 sugars for me but not in the morning thats a coffee with 2 sugars to get me going in the morning mind you morning ranges from 00,30 to 5am for me I afraid

2 Likes

Fortnums Breakfast Blend
Betty’s Breakfast Blend

Loose.

Meets all my needs.

1 Like

I have 6 sugars in my cup of tea but never stir it as I don’t like it very sweet

1 Like

I call my brew a pick me up in blood sugar when I’m feeling low
As for not stirring that’s just not right :joy:

2 Likes

I love Green Tea over a brunch of Dim Sum at our local Chinese Restaurant- feels much healthier than a fry up :blush:

2 Likes

Developing a taste for tea leaves rather than bags of late. Much better flavour after having gone off tea for a bit in favour of coffee.

1 Like

When I was on vacation in Boston back in the nineties, they used the leftover tea to clean the tables in a Chinese restaurant.

I’m trying to work out if that’s a good thing. Certainly environmentally friendly!

In restaurants in Hong Kong it is common for patrons to rinse the bowls & chopsticks with the tea as soon as it comes while waiting for food - quite a ritual. The theory is that the brief contact with very hot water will sterilise everything.

I’ve indeed seen that done. The Hotel Excelsior (now part of Mandarin Oriental group - but not a patch on the real thing obviously) was the place for GREAT Dim Sum… Lovely…

Dim sum is my favourite Chinese food. I love my visits to Hong Kong primarily because of the opportunity for really good dim sum! ( Yum Cha = drink tea, but always with dim sum!)

Although my wife has occasionally made some, most often (like today) we simply have sieu mai and ha gow, sometimes with cha siew bau bought frozen from the local ethnic supermarket…

2 Likes

If ever you’re near Milton Keynes - there is a restaurant called the Taipan - it’s next to the theatre.

Weekend mornings from 11 through til 4 - they do a huge selection of Dim Sum. A really extensive menu of steamed and fried, and then some really unusual things (I’ve never tried the chicken feet or chilled jelly fish - but they seem very popular!) …It’s always packed with Chinese people.

They then revert to being a a very good Chinese restaurant - but the Dim Sum is why people go.

2 Likes

+1 for dim sum at Taipan, Milton Keynes. Always with tea.

On a couple of occasions we have seen the owner of our local Chinese restaurant having dim sum there.

1 Like

Absolutely - the tea is so good, and just works brilliantly with the Dim Sum. SUPER hot when they first bring it!

Now that’s a vote of confidence if ever there was! :+1:t2:

It’s great value for money too - kind of hard for a couple to spend more than £35 (unless you have a few nice TsingTaos of course!) especially as it’s unlikely you’ll need to eat anything again that day!

We’ve been going for years. Bryan the manager, and Albert and Helen are always absolutely run off their feet - but always have time for a little catch-up.

That is common for Chinese restaurants where there is a Chinese community: Quite a few in London’s Chinatown (though they also do weekday mornings). When I lived in Cardiff there were two there. and Newcastle-upon-Tyne had several.

I did try chicken feet once - the taste was once, but I don’t like my mouth full of tiny bones! (Different maybe if they provided a pea-shooter, thinks the mischievous schoolboy in me…!) Some restaurants buy iin frozen. The better ones make their own - but it takes a skilled dim sum chef to do some well. Unfortunately none near me, though there is an ethnic supermarket that does frozen siu mai, ha gow and char siu bau, so we have those fairly frequently (yesterday for lunch!), but I do miss the choice there is in a restaurant.

And to bring back on topic, interestingly the Chinese call going to have dim sum “Yum Cha” which literally translates as “drink tea”! (Cantonese). And for me Chinese tea is the only drink I normally have with Chinese food.

Yes - big Chinese (and interestingly Japanese) community in MK. Lots of tech industries - Honda are based locally and the Japanese community donated a large peace pagoda. Red Bull Racing are here, so again lots of engineers from the Far East. Lots of academics at the OU.

The restaurant in MK does do Dim Sum 7 days a week - but it’s more fun in a bustling restaurant on a weekend :blush:

Well Yum Cha indeed! :pray: …what a great phrase.

The Chinese tea is so cleansing - and as you say, PERFECT with Dim Sum.

My work colleague has just told me that this exists…

Surely not!?!?

2 Likes

Got to be Assam for my normal tea. Milk no sugar. Bags are fine. Nice rich, strong flavour without the bitterness of builder’s tea.

In the afternoon or evening it’s Margaret Hope 2nd Flush Darjeeling. Loose leaf. No milk. Wet the leaves with cold water and brew off boiling.

3 Likes

If you stir the teabag straight away for a few second before leaving to brew…voila, no scum.

1 Like