Tea - what are you drinking?

There is an art and ceremony in using teabags.
I prefer to put a drop of milk and two teabags, then pour boiled water halfway up the mug.
Agitate with a spoon for a minute then let it sit for another minute. Then using the spoon to lift up the bag and squeeze and topping up with more hot water. With a few grains of Demerara sugar - which I much prefer over white refined sugar.
Spent teabags should spend at least 2 days in the sink drain bit before being binned.
Any other methods to recommend ?

1 Like

That’s true, U hadn’t noticed. My box in the cupboard still has 1706 on it. Perhaps I should keep it to show Fiona Bruce in 10 years time?

No I hadn’t noticed my screengrab didn’t have it. It’s still there on the twinings site.

Where doe FB come into it?

Antique Roadshow. It wasn’t a good joke anyway😁

1 Like

Haven’t seen that in years, is it still on?

This (the water here is really hard), really stewed, milk, no sugar. At least 6 or 7 cups a day, often more.

5 Likes

You’ve gone back to Sid!

1 Like

A query for green tea experts - I bought some Brew Tea Co Yunnan Green tea yesterday. Brewing instructions suggest 85 C ‘just-off boiling’ water for 3-4 minutes.

It then has a ‘brewing tip’ to avoid bitterness ‘Top the leaves with cold water - around 1/4 of the pot and give it a swirl - this will stop your green tea going bitter’ - I have to assume that means before adding hot water, but surly that would cool the mixture a lot?

Hyuk hyuk

4 Likes

Sid James and his chopper!

Surprised that didn’t come up in Carry on D ick.

(Forum software doesn’t allow the name!)

2 Likes

LOL its the pipe that cracks me up!

2 Likes

I only add hot water to my tea and let it steep longer than the prescribed time usually. The teas I buy are high quality organic loose leaf teas and I don’t get much bitterness aside from that you would expect with the flavor of the tea. I’d check with your tea source and see what they recommend.

1 Like

Green tea is best when cold. Not stone cold but Ambient.
A brew that you can brew big and then go back to during the day.

1 Like

I collect mine in a little tub and every few days tear open and empty contents into the waste intended for the wormery or compost bin, the bag going into tge general refuse that goes for incineration in the local energy-from-waste plant (so I have no concerns about synthetic fibre bags).

According to the Sri Lankan tea plantation owner we spoke to a couple of weeks ago as he was showing us around, the best quality tea ‘tips’ are reserved for loose tea in their domestic market. Tea bags were conspicuous by their absence whenever we were served tea in private homes or hotels. The owner was emphatic that the tea sold for ‘bagging’ for the export market, whilst very drinkable, was of inferior quality and would be rejected by Sri Lankans. Believe what you will.

3 Likes

Has to be Barry’s Gold Blend Tea Bags.

In terms of Loose teas, there is

• ‘An Irish Breakfast Blend’ by Clement & Pekoe, which is described as a Strong Irish Tea. A robust blend of Ceylon and Assam teas.
  • Assam Mangalam from Wall & Keogh

I also have some Green tea, Fennell and Peppermint depending on the occasion, requirement and mood.

I wouldn’t expect to find tea bags in Sri Lanka, as I imagine they maintain tea traditions more than the West.

That aside, I recall maybe 40 years ago when I was expanding my tea horizons, trying Assam, Ceylon, Darjeeling, Lapsang Souchong etc, Aming them there was one, I think by Twinings, called Broken Orange Pekoe, which I particularly liked - or maybe liked the name… That was pre-internet, and I now know what the term means: not as exotic as I thought back then!

1 Like

My experience in India is that the locals can generally only afford the fine, often dusty cheap teas, unless you are in with the very small, privileged minority.

I think we’ve just discovered a topic to rival ‘do different cables sound different’.

If the weather turns dull and I get bored, I might start a thread titled ‘Do different cables taste better than tea bags?’, sit back and enjoy the carnage.

Mark

2 Likes

Are we about to get back to Powerlines on kettles?

4 Likes