Tempted to try vinyl: RP3 or 6 with my 202/200 setup?

Last weekend I dug some old dance/trance vinyl out of storage and connected up old deck to our 272.

Deck started life as a Rega RP1 but now has an upgraded platter, alloy sub platter, upgraded belt, 24V motor with TT PSU and Elys2 cartridge. Phono stage is a Rega MM.

It sounds absolutely fantastic and certainly good enough for occasional use. I only own about 400 dance vinyl and 100 or so rock so can’t see us wanting to upgrade as NAS is main listening source.

2 Likes

Thank you everybody for all the comments and thoughts. It’s been really useful and has helped me towards my conclusion. That is, to save the money and put it towards the upgrading of my current system.

I don’t have any vinyl at the moment, so for the investment to prove value for money, not only does the player have to stand up to the quality of the NDX2 as a source, but I also have to buy a substantial amount of vinyl. So, yes, what appears to be a minimum investment of about £1.5 - 2K can be put towards a trade-in of the 202 for a 282. Get more enjoyment out of what I’ve already got, which is circa 900 ripped CDs and a wonderful digital feed from Qobuz and Radio Paradise! Also, no increase in box count.

Thank you one and all… Good decision making exercise!

If you wait for a used 282 you will comfortably be able to swap the 202 for your budget, you might even get this down to just over £1K

1 Like

Good thought!

Thread diversion but can you use amazon steaming on the ndx2?

That will be something special. I have loved the upgrade to a 282/200.

1 Like

No idea… Never tried. Suspect you’d need to have a computer set up to give a digital output into the NDX2 and use it as a DAC. But, someone on the streaming area will probably know better.

1 Like

So did I, I used this for a long time, the 202 to 282 upgrade was up there with the largest upgrades I have done.

It might be rational decision making but it’s a bit boring!! I have nearly 5,000 albums on my nas, but there is something really nice about picking out a record and putting it on - it’s great seeing the platter spinning round. I started a couple of years ago with just a couple of records and now have a couple of boxes. It’s not logical but it’s nice. A change from a 202 to 282 will become the new normal very quickly but each time you play a record it’s a different experience.

8 Likes

Gosh that mat with your P8 looks wonderful!

You could also go down the second had Linn LP12 route. If the vinyl bugs bites then you can upgrade the TT right up to the current top-spec if you have very deep pockets or stop somewhere in the middle and end up with a fabulous turntable that I think would easily surpass any Rega.

2 Likes

How about that one, the Hexmat?

( not mine picture)

1 Like

Not for me I’m afraid. I like the one that HH has for aesthetics reasons only.

2 Likes

Thanks, the red mat gives a nice visual lift and relieves the blackness. I may try a blue one at some stage. The yellow hexagonal one just looks daft.

2 Likes

I see you have a NDX2 - I have a CDX2 .

I had the exact system you have and when I started again with vinyl my first turntable was a Rega 3 (forget which version) - the Rega 3 was very good value for money - but it became clear that there was a chasm between sources. I went for a Michell Technodec which was again an improvement (cannibalised the Rega for arm and cartridge )

Just a word for the Clearaudio Concept , an off the shelf package

I second @paulbysea . I was thinking about going Rega, but during lockdown as I could not visit my dealer to listen I decided to buy a preloaded LP12 from Cymbiosis.

I had owned a LP12 back in the 1980’s so I knew what to expect and was confident to buy ‘unheard’. Now I listen to my collection from those far-off days, not every evening, but at least once a week.

3 Likes

You raise a good point. And yes I can see the emotional part of it. I think this is something to save for a VERY special occasion…

At the moment, I still marvel every time at the detail and musicality of my NDX2 system. So, I think that’s how I’ll stay for now.

Vinyl can come in the future…. And I sense it will. Thanks for the thoughts. :blush:

1 Like

I started with the P1, skipped the 3 and bought a RP6/Exact. I purchased a Supernait 3 recently and did thought about upgrading. However, after listening to it direct into the phono input, quite satisfied with the sound quality. The better the recording, the better it sounds.

1 Like

Good choice IMO, i recently tried Vinyl again after 30 years away. I bought a Rega RP10 with Musical Fidelity Nuvista Vinyl phonostage. My hopes were to relive my youth i think, but in the end it was the memories from that part of my life (teens) that i missed, not the Vinyl itself. It became a chore just to listen to Vinyl, streaming is so much more convenient.
The sound of the RP10 was great, but i would not say any better than my Naim Core into my Mscaler/TT2 Dac. I almost felt guilty not using it enough, and i started with no records like you would be.
I spent about $800.00 dollars on 19 records in the short time i had the TT, and tried to sell them back to the shop i bought them from. He offered me $200.00 for them, i played most of them one time. The records are still sitting on my IKEA storage shelf i bought, and no longer need. An expensive lesson learned, but i work 11 hour days, and just can not be bothered with the ritual anymore.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.