Ten grand

That’s why I have had the same car for 16 years and it’s only just getting to 70k on the clock.

My daughter listens to music from her phone speaker, drives me nuts but to her it’s giving her satisfaction and she enjoys the music none the less anf sings away to it. She’s got a very reasonable system in her room that I built for her out of my old kit, but she hardly uses it even though she can use the same app on her phone to play it on it.

1 Like

You clearly appreciate better sound quality than does your daughter! - as I said, each to their own on the value for money they assign to hifi, and on the satisfaction or enjoyment different systems may bring them.

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Interesting that you decided against the Aura and to stick with the Aria. I guess that probably says more for the Aria’s great value for money and performance than deficiencies in the Aura but do share your rationale for the decision.

Regards

David

From what you have said later about the way you chose speakers with your wife at Bristol show, this is going to be difficult because of the sentimental and emotional attachment.

Wishing you luck with the project, Cooky, whichever way you go.

I think the Aphelion cartridge when it is kept clean delivers enough uplift over the Aphetas with the Aria. I have a Powerline (added Wednesday) on the Aria and RCA to DIN Super Lumina cable. The Collaro Red Mat has been a big improvement (Wednesday).

All I really want is to enjoy vinyl as much as digital and that is where I think I am.

The last demo of the Aura without the recent changes (cleaned the stylus yesterday) was inconclusive. The Aura and Aria previously were above the 552 with 8” gap. Then at the end (previous Wednesday) I moved the Aura and discovered it was affecting the digital sound! I then moved the RP10 off the Rega wall shelf and used the surround and lid (after the Aura went back!).

The Aria really is great. I don’t doubt the Aura could give better results, but enjoyment is much better now.

Phil

1 Like

Yep, I agree Phil. The RP10 and Aria is a superb vinyl front end. Sure, one could spend thousands trying to eek fractions more out of it but, tbh, there’s little point when it sounds as involving as it does now.

2 Likes

I would look at getting a used Lp12 with keel, radikal, ekos arm. Sounds amazing and you can pick them up for around 8 or 9k.

I have Lp12 with cirkus and kore upgrades so if I had spare £10k would be upgrading current turntable.

Alternatively a used 552 would be on my list!

I have 135s also and would keep those for sure.

1 Like

Hi @Cooky,

I too previously owned a 52 but with an olive 250.

However, I had the opportunity to purchase a preloved non dr 500 at a very good price, which I did. I then had it serviced and ran it with my 52.

As good as it was I never really settled with it as I knew the logical thing was to pair it with a 552, which I did purchasing preloved and had it serviced.

Happier that I had now regained the synergy between my amplification though at a higher level, I was now content … not at all.

There was now a new itch to scratch, the dr upgrade…and so it goes.

Yes, I did get them both the dr upgrade…and so it goes.

Did the olive & black boxes work together, of course they did.

But there is always…what if.

I am sure you are aware of this, as I was, but it’s that itch!

As I’ve heard a fellow member say very often, ‘resistance is futile’.

Personally I wouldn’t change the 52 unless I was prepared to change the 135s for a black box power amp at some point.

I also have an LP 12 , and with respect @Dan_M , that is one heck of an itch !!

Dedicated mains supply, very cost effective upgrade.

Recently, I’m recognising the benefits of room treatment maybe that’s worth exploring.

Just thought, don’t think you’ve said what part of your music replay your not happy with or would like to improve?

1 Like

have one of these for the christmas hols the blighter would’nt fit my wall bracket had to fashion a support from from the rcm’s rack!

3 Likes

They make a new smaller bracket specially for the 8 and 10. The fixings are closer together so it would mean drilling the wall again.

thanks thats good to know even on an old bit of quadraspire shelf and some rdc cones it sounding a lot better than my p6 only 2 albums in

nice. the P10 would be my choice were I in your shoes.

as someone else mentioned upthread, I recommend getting a “cheap” streaming source, if you don’t already have one, even if it would just be for internet radio. you can access radio stations from all over the world and it’s an unparalleled way to hear new music – worth its weight in gold, I think!

So what LP12 upgrades are you itching to do? Really like the way you have done the sockets for your system. How do you use the earthing points on the front of the sockets. Am looking at doing similar. Do you connect them to the earth of each plug socket?

well the p10 has been playing since 10am non stop it does sound great but im not a 100% sold on the looks where as the rp10 with decoupled plinth looked good.
speaking of appearance when i was in the dealers he had a Linn lp12 akurate that looked gorgeous would this be worth listening too?how would the sound differ from the rega?

1 Like

Yes, it’s good to have the option to put the lid down while playing.

Phil

That was one of the reasons I decided on the RP10 rather than the P10. You can have the RP10 look the same as a P10 or you can have it look like a more traditional deck with a proper dust cover.

1 Like

If you like the sound of the P10 and are wondering about alternatives, the Linn LP12 is a natural option (with the best power supply you can fit in the budget), as is a Vertere turntable.

From an aesthetic perspective though, none of the above can hold a candle to a Michell Gyrodec SE with those rotating brass columns. This is a wholly subjective and personal opinion.

Best regards, BF

Hi Dan_M

Well Dan I’m seriously in denial with my LP12,Ekos Mk2?, Lyra Clavis DC,Lingo 1 , so my itch is should I jump ship to an alternative or get back on the Linn merry go round. Itches, it scares the … out of me!

My electrical dado.

Yep aesthetically I’m pleased with it but not sure I would do it exactly the same again. The 3 double sockets with earth terminals are dedicated radial feeds and the 2 double are on the ring main. The earth terminals I haven’t used, as yet, so just remind me they are the radial feeds.

Happy Christmas

:santa:t2::christmas_tree::partying_face:

1 Like

Hi Rustyneedle,

I love my Lp12. Had the deck serviced, Akito tonearm bearings redone, Kore and Cirkus and new cartridge. An Ekos 2 would make it better still. Are you thinking Radikal and Urika? Lol.

I’ve spent £16k on upgrades on my Linn Naim system over the last year!

Been a very itchy year! Must stop these itches!

Lol.

Happy Christmas!

3 Likes

Christmas Greetings @Dan_M

Pre cd I used to have a Dual 505 turntable, then in the mid 80s I heard a CD player which led me to selling all my records and replacing them with bright shiny discs and a Denon player.

A couple of years later a friend of mine, purchased a new LP12, I was smitten.

Initially through lack of funds I purchased a used LP12 and started buying back all my old records. Eventually, I arrived at what I have to day, but through work commitments I spent a lot of time driving and very little time at home to keep the LP12 spinning. It was then I returned to cds, listening in the car, and the LP12 lay dormant ( Russ - rusty needle). The cd collection grew and my LP12 didn’t get the gradual upgrades.

I purchased a UnitiServe & nDac,then added 555PS.

The ND555 was released, which I purchased and added a further 555PS.

That is without the amplication upgrades I have made in recent years and the move from Linn Isobariks to Kudos Titan T88s.

Many fellow Naim members have now sold their LP12 in favour of the ND555 or other digital replay.

I can’t bring myself to do that, I still have a large record collection.

However, when I pluck up the courage, I intend a trip to Leicester JUST for a much needed service and inspection of the Lyra. Will it stop there?..that’s one itch I don’t want to scratch, it scares the …out of me!

At the mercy of the Doctor…resistance is futile!

I’ve also got a Pentax ME Super but haven’t bought film for years.

Happy Christmas and a not too expensive New Year.

Russ
:christmas_tree::santa:t2::partying_face::clinking_glasses::tada:

3 Likes