Tenebrae on BBC4

Broadcast last Saturday but available for a while yet on iPlayer, Sacred Songs: the Secrets of our Hearts. I initially assumed it was recorded a while ago, but somehow they’ve managed to put together home-filmed parts to make a full choir, Covid-19 style. I tried this with my choir last week and it was mind-bendingly difficult to do well, so I have extra respect for them.

I think the Beeb might have slightly fluffed the scheduling though - most of the pieces chosen are distinctly Lenten, so the evening of Easter Sunday was an odd choice of timing.

If you’re a renaissance choral geek like me, you may be interested to note that they sing the plainsong segments of the Allegri to the tonus peregrinus rather than the usual tone 2 that George Guest notated in the usually-used edition. Makes it a much more satisfying experience, IMO.

Anyway, enjoy…

Mark

I enjoyed this programme and, particularly in the circumstances, found it very moving as well as wonderfully performed. Tenebrae are such a fine choir. Although I take your point that the music might have been liturgically mistimed, from a scheduling point of view, I can understand why it was broadcast in the early evening of Easter Sunday. In these dreadful times, I suspect people are looking for solace at Easter and this short concert certainly provided it. Three cheers for the Beeb!

BTW I did post about it but rather foolishly put my post in the “what have you been listening to” thread.

Roger

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.