Tenet, anyone interested or going?

The movie sounds fascinating, but from any reviews I’ve seen elsewhere spoilers will really live up to their name!

Are the cinemas offering popcorn and big colas ?
Could be difficult wearing a mask for 2 and a 1/2 hours if they did.
I’d rather wait until it comes out from my dish provider.

Beer and popcorn.
As long the distance between others 1,5M is its okeay in the Netherlands.

1 Like

He has a habit of doing this with his soundmixes bloody annoying.

That really depends on the filmstock used and how welll shot it is. Colour these days is more natural and realistic compared to the styles used in the 50s / 60s. I love film when used well in the creative process but for projection and distribution no thanks. Its had its day for that.

I don’t disagree that modern techniques are more faithful and natural with considerably more flexibility, I think I’m just constantly amazed with the quality that can be obtained from careful restoration of old movies shot on film.

Many movies from the 50’s/60’s I probably grew up seeing on BBC as a kid on 625 line analogue broadcasts may have looked reasonably good in SD, but BluRay releases have really shown me what I was potentially missing from TV broadcasts all those years ago. Nostalgia perhaps but few modern movies really float my boat beacuse of excessive CGI.

1 Like

Diferent matter, although I too dislike excessive CGI.
I.e: Star Wars prequels: seems that the movie where written in order to adapt the effects, then the opposite. But your brain tells you something wrong with the surroundings. Everything glows all the time, everytime.

1 Like

Definitley there is a lot more in the old stuff that the old tech could not give us as long as they go back to the original negative master and not just digitise the prints as they are less than HD due to the nature of the print process. There are a bunch of directors keeping film alive as they made the studios buy tons of it to keep Kodaks labs afloat. But the econimcs and environmentl pressures it wont last for long.

You would be surprised by how much CGI is in run of the mill films you would not expect it to be in or notice its there even CN films even though he publically says its all in camera it aint. In the current climate this type of CGI is going to be very prominent to create environments they cant shoot in and having lots of people on set or on location. There is more to VFX than big scifi epics its the only thing that keeps me working in the industry and why I moved to a new company as all they did was big blockbusters with no substance. Now I get to work on more low key and interesitng projects.

2 Likes

Side topic, but re film, this is very interesting

1 Like

I’m glad the tide seems to be turning on CGI and the use of film. For a while, about 15 years ago, it seemed that CGI would always rule and that film’s days were numbered but it now seems film is enjoying a renaissance (a la vinyl?) and relentlessly gratuitous CGI is less popular than it was.

I remember being gobsmacked by the quality of the Wizard of Oz on Blu-ray, with Judy Garland’s tiny freckles clearly visible from 1939.

Mark

1 Like

Indeed. Saw the film today and both my son and I found this really annoying and just begs the question why? You spend multi millions on a film and then decry the ability to hear all the dialogue and hear all that is going on. My son, with perfect hearing as just proved by a pre employment medical test, reckoned that he could not hear something like one third of the dialogue ( I thought it was just me with aged ear damaged hearing). Overall, as a great Nolan fan and someone who doesn’t like to criticise, I was very disappointed. Thought it an overblown action movie too much relying on big action scenes with lot of shooting and explosions and car chases without any real drama, tension or interest in what seemed to be quite a simplistic story, albeit as you couldn’t hear a lot of the exposition I probably missed a lot of what I was supposed to enjoy.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that gratuitous CGI has had its day far from it. What’s happened is we got better at it and now its more believable and less notcable. It also has it place in certain movies that obviously would not exist without it.

Some of the environmental work my old place did is just unbelievable even from 11 years ago. Its still some of the best if that type of work I have seen. You really would not know about any of it unless you see the before and afters reel we made.

TV is also a massively growing part of this industry across all types of drama again mostly the invisible stuff, unless it’s sci-fi or fantasy.

Your last part sums up a lot of Nolan films. He tries to be clever and bombastic over storey telling. He also is not the best character developer and very poor at conveying emotion.

Interesting comment, cheers

On my way with my son (a big Nolan fan) to see this now.

Really enjoyed the film last night - my son for his second time having been with a friend in Cheltenham a week ago. The second viewing enabled him to pick up on more of the ‘visual clues’ of the story arc that appear - particularly those early in the movie.

Sound at the Showcase Cinema (Cabot Circus, Bristol) was very good, I only had problems with the dialogue when the cast had masks on, but it didn’t spoil the film for me. In the beginning I thought it actually added to the ‘stress’ of the situation that unfolded.

I wonder after Dunkirk’s ‘linear’ musical soundtrack if Nolan wanted to let things go a bit more, and using Ludwig Göransson in place of his usual collaborator Has Zimmer, certainly enabled that. I did think there were times when the music soundtrack would have improved the experience if it was softened a bit - the visuals were dramatic enough without over emphasis by continually bombarding viewers using the sound.

The more I think about it, the more I want to see it again, because a bit like Nolan’s ‘Momento’, repeated viewing is going to reveal many story details I missed the first time. A definite future Blu-Ray purchase for me!

1 Like

Geoff, thanks for the info, I know that cinema and found the sound good on previous visits.

1 Like

Dont care much for MK but some good info on how the story concept works.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.