Tennis

I don’t think she looked right at all during the game - was it the long wait to get on court, nutrition or maybe coming down with something? How much was it nerve/anxiety due to massive expectation. The other day there were comments that as she was in a bubble she’d avoid journalists etc, I have to wonder if teh converse was true and she may have needed more general social contact with family and friends during the past few days.

She’s being interviewed by Sue B later on.

1 Like

Tbh, I believe she’d have been smashed by Ash anyway…

Quite likely but it’s a shame it ended as it did, we all like the underdog to come through.

I think Ash is great, wouldn’t mind at all if she won.

1 Like

I hoping AB goes alway the way. She’s such a great sportswoman can’t remember ever hearing her whinge or carry on like some she just gets on with it.

Now the UKs last chance has gone I hoping the locals get behind her.

1 Like

Federer can’t handle the six foot Pole.

Federer’s time could well be up. Dennis S was awesome!

He’s looked lacklustre the last 2 matches, it would be sad if he calls it a day.

1 Like

Hope he doesn’t retire but refreshing to see young talent coming through at last to challenge the 3 Billy GOATs Gruff :smiley:

1 Like

Well, forget drama at Wimbledon I’ve had a right dressing down tonight for being ‘selfish’ and having a pint with my tennis coach after a regular 2 hour Friday afternoon session, I just don’t normally have a pint!

Djokovic was an abject lesson in dismantling an opponent who for swathes of the match played the better tennis.

1 Like

Didn’t see much of it, but so close ‘on paper’ but straight sets!

1 Like

In those 3-4 points per set that really count Djokovic had far more intensity, accuracy and better decision making. Shame really as Shapovalov was exciting and made some great shots. Almost as many unforced errors though, and often at the key moments. It made for a good match to watch, but the result did not feel to me to be in much doubt.

Not sure about the final. Djokovic a player who is always impressive but I find it hard to root for him. Effective, ruthless and dominant does not get me out of my seat, and it often seems a lot of the crowd in Wimbledon feel the same. I keep hearing what a really, really nice bloke he is, no really, but he has never charmed the UK crowd so I am sure they will cheer Berretini as the underdog. I think it does actually annoy Djokovic but I doubt it will stop him winning, and I am sure he will be back for plenty more.

Bruce

2 Likes

I’m flicking between the TdF and Ash’s match tonight. I’m hoping she’s good enough either way she’s a champion.

1 Like

I think that just about sums it up Bruce. I guess Novak isn’t Roger or Rafa!

…and I think it really bugs him.

Maybe he will be more appreciated, if not exactly loved, when he retires. When Federer goes I expect flags will be at half mast around the All England Club!

Bruce

1 Like

She’s quite good isn’t she…

5 Likes

She certainly is. :+1:

3 Likes

Not bad at cricket either…and none of that (unnecessary) noisy grunting.

1 Like