That’s it for me folks, been a blast

It made perfect sense to me…

OP here. Logged out but the email notices have allowed me to follow the thread.

The NYT article is a graphic, factual description of the initial spread of the virus. I posted it to counter accusations by at least 2 others that another forum member was racist. Richard removed the article with the other posts as taken together, the discussion would become more heated. If I reposted the article on this thread, there would be no reason to remove it.

I now realize that my initial reaction to quit the forum was grounded in me not ever having had the experience of being censored, and also with being grouped with people who imho were clearly out-of-line. As a sixty something, UK expatriate with an interest many things British, (and especially music and hifi), participation in the forum has made me feel like I’m part of a broader community of like-minded individuals. Psychologically, I was in too deep.

So I’ll give it a rest and occasionally check in on the hifi and music threads. After all, my hi-fi store has a pair of used Wilson DAW’s for 50% off. Just another 25% to go :wink:

Hope this note clarifies things a little, and allows me to thank those who made comments above in support.

Cheers, and stay well

Peter

10 Likes

Some free unsolicited advice - use this forum for Naim hifi and music subjects. Use Breitbart comment section or certain sub-reddits where hardcore political and societal commentary are the norm. Just separating worlds. Been therapeutic for me, giving free rein to my “inner jerk” on the adapted forum. I come here for hifi only, but that’s just me.

Breitbart? Really?

4 Likes

Hi bhoyo,
Yes, really. Massively heated arguments there. Sun Tzu said “know your enemy” didn’t he? BB is just like Fox News and millions of Americans watch it just as millions of others watch CNN. So, in terms of free group therapy, yes I read and comment there, as I do elsewhere from time to time. Nobody’s perfect!

What is ‘Breitbart’?

Do I even want to google it, lol ?

Google, it. I’m sure your never return again.

Never return here…or there?

Lol.

1 Like

There…there’s a war on.

1 Like

Yes, and the war of differing opinion in the human species has existed since time began and certainly isn’t ready to cease.

Very true. But let’s hope we all evolve together.

I’ll google…but I assume it’s full of testosterone ted’s giving vent. So probably won’t return there…

Indeed, I find a good classic cocktail works wonders in subdueing the enemy!

Good decision @Petersfi

The other member was my profile I guess whom you are referring to.

To my mind your NY times link was factual and was unfortunately removed with other things posted.

Some members claim to have not read it and yet have many things to say about the forum rules et al…

NY times is quite open and they can easily search for it if they wish to.

Stay Safe…

Regards

You could have used the full quote. But, anyway…

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, [The Art of War]

2 Likes

Indeed, David. I’m certainly not! My surprise was triggered by my (possibly delusional) image of Naim Forumites as voices of reason, compassion and decency in the toxic stew we all live in. And that’s definitely not my image of BB. :wink:
Anyway, all the best, and stay safe.

2 Likes

I think the conundrum is that not making a political statement is often making a political statement.

1 Like

@Petersfi

Stick with it, take a post deletion on the chin, it’s nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I’ve had many posts deleted on online fora over the years - just don’t take it personally.

Moderators have a task to do which can be difficult and is often a judgement call.

All you can really do is stick to your guns if you sincerely have a point to make - if that’s not considered suitable for the forum then so be it, nothing lost, just accept the deletion as a ‘badge of experience’ .

As I say none of this is personal, heck I even flagged one of my own posts for deletion the other day as I think it was maybe a bit too political.

1 Like

There seems to be a criticism there of other contributors. Some members, certainly one I know of, have indeed not read it, not just claim they haven’t, yet feel it appropriate to comment on forum rules because they have experience of them gained over time and a variety of situations. And breaking forum rules need have nothing to do with whether something is factual. As for looking up the article, if people were inclined it would help for them to know what they were looking for, as I imagine the website concerned contains rather more than just whatever it was.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.