That This Works..And Sounds So Good

Be careful Bart, I got put into premod on the old forum for posting something similar. I think I was thought to be posting drunk, even though I’d heard about it on Jo Whiley’s program. Although it could have been the jokey reference to a statement. (I wasn’t drunk BTW).

A few of these are most probably munching on that expensive stylus tip right now !

Whouah! i will never touch an lp with my hands anymore. :nauseated_face::bug::cricket::spider::ant:

I am guessing this bug is of Scandinavian origin, just because it seems well wrapped up for the cold.

1 Like

Not against vinyl, just recognise there is better quality available. But I deed, the original process of recording sound was an amazing thing.

better quality for you IB. For some also but not all. It’s just a bit surprising that you post on all vinyl threads the same ideas, always and always. I am nothing against you, but just this infinite technical demonstration that digital sounds better is a bit tiring. Sorry.

Peder’s opening post was great, and I agreed with it, though it led me to point to other developments in sound recording. I’m sorry you find my contributions tiring - maybe better not to read them! But our exchange I am sure is tiresome for others reading the thread so let’s leave it there - if we ever meet we can shake hands and discuss to our hearts’ content over a drink. :grinning:

1 Like

Recently I downgraded my vinyl rig exchanging a very expensive beautifully engineered arm for a modded Rega RB250 and due to an accident an Audio Technica MM cart worth about half what my Dynavector cost, at the same time I swapped my UQ2 for an upgraded Uniti 1 so the two have came closer together and are now on a par cost wise but I sill prefer analogue.
No doubt if I could afford an ND555 powered by two 555DR power supplies it would sound better than my modest LP12. Anyone who has invested equally in the two mediums would have a lot to say on this subject and I’d be more interested in their view than say someone who owns a £20,000 streamer and a £3,000 vinyl set up.

My vinyl and digital front ends cost about the same - NDS with 555DR power supply versus a Nottingham Analogue Dais with Reed arm, Lyra Kleos cart, and Tron 7 ref phono stage. I also use an ADS ultrasonic record cleaning machine.

On a good pressing of older material, the vinyl sound preferable to me. To be honest, there is not much difference between a well mastered 24 bit 96 kHz digital version and the original 1970’s vinyl (I am thinking the Doors studio stuff for example). You can find bad examples of either. You might be able to hear deeper into the mix with digital, but on my system the vinyl is more dynamic and immediate sounding.

Interestingly, I find that tape hiss is less obvious on my LPs - e.g. Horace Silver’s Songs for my father.

1 Like

This is roughly what I actually paid:
Ex dem Artemis SA-1 turntable £4k
Schroeder referance arm £5k
Transfiguration Proteus £3k
ex dem Superline £1.5K
Supercap £4k

ND 555 £13k
555ps £6k ex dem price plus service, repair and DRing
Core. <£2k

The supercap was repurposed from my 282 when I bought the 552, the superline being in my system since a year after its launch. I bought the Artemis and Schroder as a deal that included jumping the queue for the arm by over a year with the dealer involved taking the risk if I didn’t like them as I had no chance to audition in advance, it turned out to be a safe bet on his part. They replaced a Rock mk2, used without the trough, with an Aro.
Both are very good at making sense of the music, the TT gets me deeper into it (the music not necessarily the mix), once I’d got the setup to my satisfaction (which took months). It has more background noise, yes, but the music draws my attention enough that I’m only aware of it in passing, it doesn’t spoil my enjoyment. If I had to choose just one the ND555 is good enough that it wouldn’t be an easy choice to make. With only records vs ripped I think the TT wins but throw in streaming at ND555 level? (CD555, NDS, DAVE need not apply.)
I’ve played Pierrot Lunaire (Schoenberg) on both recently, it used to be a screeching hell on vinyl (and live but amplified in the South Bank Foyer) and pointless on CD (CDX2/555ps and not the same recording as the vinyl) but I found I enjoyed both on my current system and I “got” the music like never before.

1 Like

I have always been amazed that it works at all, let alone repeatedly.

Vinyl may remain playable long after tape has stuck together and CDs delaminated.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.