The 10 albums you listen to the most

@Cmax thank you! I like Hiromi a lot, especially her trio projects with Anthony Jackson and Simon Phillips. I didn’t mention her albums “Move” and “Spark” which are equally great. I wonder how many people enjoy Hiromi’s music, I don’t usually see her mentioned in this forum even though she’s a terrific pianist, one of the very best IMHO.

3 Likes

Okay for me when Schubert was writing the wonderful Trout it wasn’t the same as e.g Led Zepp 4.

Not quite sure what you mean?

Your post to which I had responded suggested that classical music didn’t fit the album concept, and by implication not able to identify albums for this thread, which is about how we listen not how a composer wrote, and I simply pointed out that on the classical side certainly much does come as an album of, say, a complete work or collection of related works by one composer (Schubert’s, indeed wonderful, Trout quintet is a case in point). The second part of my comment was thinking in terms of the popularity for some people with non-classical of listening just to isolated tracks rather than music by the album.

Thought about this a lot, a few years ago it would have been easy. Not these days.

1 Like

Lowell George - Thanks, I’ll Eat It Here

Didn’t expect to see that in anyone’s list, his version of I can’t stand the rain is superb.

twofifty - I assume you know Rock & Roll Doctor … A tribute to…. If not, check it out.

4 Likes

Feat are (with The Clash) my favourite band of all time & George like Strummer was a very special musician - unbeatable voice, wonderful slide guitar & great song writer. His solo album is an absolute joy. His stuff with The Factory on the Lightning Rod Man album is half decent & I love the couple of Zappa albums he appeared on although I doubt that’s down to George. I do own the tribute album you recommend. Sadly missed.

1 Like

Love Chronicles was a popular choice when I was at grammar school late 60’s. Apparently it was cool to own an album (LP) containing the f-word!

1 Like

Love that Yo Yo Ma album.

1 Like

Like most could easily post another 10 but one obvious one I missed is Talk Talk’s Colour of Spring.

Quickly running through the list they don’t seem to make it on to many at all, maybe everyone like me and just having a blind spot to some gorgeous music.

1 Like

Made mine but Spirit of Eden is never far behind.

2 Likes

I sing on one of those albums!

For many of the reasons others have said, it’s impossible to compile an accurate list. While there are artists and albums I return to time and again over the years, I like variety. Although I listen to a lot of classical and jazz, I tend not to go back to many recordings so much. These ten are definitely long-term favourites.

Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Dire Straits - Communiqué
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Rachael Sage - Smashing the Serene
Sian James - Di-Gwsg
Edward H Dafis - Hen Ffordd Gymreig o Fyw
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Ute Lemper - Illusions
Michael Shenker Group - Live at Budokan

6 Likes

Ah so chances are you are one of the following- a celebrity in our midst.

Ozzy Osbourne
Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Roger Walters
Bryan Josh
Heather Findley

If I was I would almost certainly have a Statement system in every room of the mansion, including the toilets :).

On the other hand, I might have been a backing singer …

5 Likes

I’m picking Mostly Autumn. Just a hunch, and an excellent band by any measure.

2 Likes

Okay you sometimes get a classical album where a work stands on its own as in Beethoven V -Kleiber DG but so often classical albums are compilations which I guess makes it like a greatest hits album which I also ignored. And on that is the Eagles Greatest Hits still the biggest selling album of all time? I’ll get me coat, it’s all good :grinning:

To follow Celibidache in that way must have been one hell of an experience!

Thanks for the two Welsh recommendations - a joy

1 Like

Do you belong to a choir? (Thinking of full vocal version of Peer Gynt)

Ditto Carmina Burana

I did, yet there must be dozens of recordings of Peer Gynt, Carmina and La Traviata and I don’t know which ones @Innocent_Bystander has.

1 Like