"The 100 Best Albums of the 21st Century."

I have a few of them, heard songs from a fair few and recognise most of the names.

Can only claim to own 5 of those…

But there were a lot I did not even recognise… :thinking:

Being The Guardian, that list was compiled by a bunch of bourgeois PC bedwetters with many concerns, none of them anything to do with musical merit. Fashion, attempting to impress their children, a desire to appear as ideologically invincible as possible and just being right on were key to those choices.

Amy Winehouse I kind of get (though I don’t like her much, but she was amazingly talented)… but The Strokes’ lumpen retro-rock, Robyn (who just raids Goldfrapp’s dustbin for her mediocre Europop), the ludicrously overrated Arcade Fire, the very silly Kanye West and boring old Frank Ocean? Really? The only surprise in there is that they didn’t make the sainted Beyoncé number one, two, three, four and five.

I bet there were a lot of artists breathing a sigh of relief they weren’t on that list, culture vultures know that The Groan is the kiss of death when it comes to credibility.

19 Likes

29 for me. Possibly how old I am in spirit…?

I seem to have 38 but absolutely no wish whatsoever to buy the other 62.

2 Likes

63 for me. Totally disagree with the number 1. It would always be a surprise if someone had or liked more than 50% of any such list but to dismiss it as something to do with fashion is embarrassing. Of the 63 I have I would stand by more than 50 as simply great music. If people want to close their ears because of such prejudices it’s their loss.

1 Like

No Leonard Cohen?

None in my collection…but as a Qobuz subscriber I guess I have them all, in a way. I just have no inclination to play any of them.
G

24 for me. If the Guardian’s music writers weren’t so depressingly middlebrow, they’d have put J Dilla’s Donuts, La Bush’s Aerial or Bowie’s Blackstar at No.1.

And where were Broadcast and Goldfrapp?

2 Likes

8% not bad for an old geezer?

I have 23. Some of the artists I like, but the album choices for some of these artists seem odd.

1 Like

22 here

I see you get by writing drivel. Well, you’re clearly doing a good job if this post is typical.

Ouch!

1 Like

Definitely an age thing, I’ve got 20+ and im in my 40s. My favourite out of that list is number 7 which is an bold thing to admit, even though its not my genres of music.

1 Like

The best album [ so far ] of this 21st century isn’t there! :thinking:

4 Likes

Fifteen for me.
Hardly play any of them, other than the PJ Harvey’s.

…there is just not to much on that list that would make my play list, perhaps a dozen artists that I have actually played one of their album!

1 Like

For me Arctic Monkeys, Amy Winehouse, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave and more …

Am I an exception?

Thank you, I do try to do my best.

PS - You are Kath Viner and I claim my £5.

2 Likes

I have four, many artists I’ve never heard of and quite a few I wish I’d never heard of!!