The 13th Beatle Studio Album

I would stick to the formula of 5 songs, each from Lennon & McCartney, two from Harrison and one from Ringo.

I would include tracks from the John Lennon Plastic Ono Band Album, recorded between September and October 1970.

If including tracks from Imagine, you can also have tracks from McCartney’s best album, Ram, which was released before Imagine.

It could be also argued that POB is the best Lennon album. But I have no objection to use Ram for McCartney.

It could be a good idea to stick to the formula too.

As an additional note, some of to songs included only in their later albums were actually older ones. Not Guilty from Harrison (played already in White Album sessions) came to my mind which could support the idea to accept all recordings before Dec-80.

I thought that Sentimental Journey was recorded whilst The Beatles were still together.

Maybe an outtake from Beaucuops of Blues - Coochy Coochy by Ringo would fit.

1 Like

Just consider these album title suggestions…Wow. Any of them would work…

Beware of the Darkness
All Things Must Pass
Isn’t it a Pity
My Sweet Lord
If Not For You
What is Life
Imagine
Jealous Guy
How
Crippled Inside
Every Night
Maybe I’m Amazed

I’ve included only songs that were released in or before 1971.

1. My Sweet Lord (1970)
  2. Ballad Of John And Yoko (1969)
  3. Another Day (1971)
  4. Jealous Guy (1971)
  5. Isn’t It A Pity (1970)
  6. Give Peace A Chance (1969)
  7. It Don’t Come Easy (1971)
  8. Maybe I’m Amazed (1970)
  9. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (1971)
  10. Back Seat Of My Car (1971)
  11. Imagine [with the production de-syruped] (1971)
  12. All Things Must Pass (1970)

That’s four each by Paul, George and John, given that George wrote It Don’t Come Easy and gave Ringo the credit.

I would also scrap Let It Be, use the only four good songs from that — Across the Universe, Get Back, Let It Be, Long And Winding Road — and add What Is Life 1970 and Wah-Wah 1970 to make a double album.

Single or double, the album would be called All Things Must Pass, which seems like a good note to wrap things up for the Fabs.

3 Likes

I saw this post in another place a while back. Similar concept. I don’t mean to deviate from the thread but it does show a strong set of songs in the first 3 or 4 years.

"Imagine…if the Beatles had not split in 69 but took a break from recording. They then reconvened at the end of 73 with stuff they had written and released a double album.

It might have looked a bit like this…

Side 1.

Imagine. It Don’t Come Easy. What is Life? Jet. Another Day. Oh my Love. New York City.

Side 2

My Sweet Lord. Power to the People. Live and Let Die. Photograph. That Would be Something. Working Class Hero. Back Off Boogaloo.

Side 3.

Band on the Run. Gimme some Truth. Isn’t it a Pity. Every Night. Maybe I’m Amazed. Jealous Guy.

Side 4.

Mind Games. Let me Roll it. Give me Love( give me peace on Earth). My Love. Instant Karma. Back Seat of my Car. Hi Hi Hi.

Plus a Christmas single. Happy Christmas. ( War is Over)"

2 Likes

This ‘album’ has been called The Black Album (in various forms I think). This listing I think was created after hearing a radio show suggesting this list, I then made the playlist in Qobuz. There is also a longer version created by Ethan Hawke - referenced on wiki. There are other Black Album playlists on Spotify and Apple Music. I like that they got a fair spread across the four and Wah-Wah is great :blush:

1 Like

I always thought Let It Be was the last studio album.
Have I been wrong for fifty odd years?

Yep think you have, Let it Be was the last album released but Abbey Road was the last album they recorded.

1 Like

The Beatles held back the release of Let it Be for whatever reason (theories differ). Abbey Road was recorded last, but was released after LiB.

My typing fingers were obviously still flying as you were posting, Pete.

Another suggestion for the album title is 13, with all that that suggests. This little exercise of yours confirms they still had at least two great albums in the tank. What a great shame.

1 Like

I actually have made up a playlist based on their solo albums a few years ago. Also agree that it should have called All Things Must Pass.

It’s funny I find “two of us” is one of the most affecting songs the Beatles recorded.

.sjb

3 Likes

You know, I’d forgotten that one. I agree with you. It’s deceptively slight, but yes, it’s affecting.

1 Like

I think it’s a very underrated track.

1 Like

That explains why they’re mucking about with Abbey Road tracks on the Get Back DVD (2 of 3 discs watched so far).
I just remember as a kid my cousin having Abbey Road before Let It Be and later on (30 years later on) when I eventually bought them seeing the release dates as 1969 for Abbey Road & 1970 for Let It Be.

1 Like

I have always understood that ‘Let It Be’ was held back because of disagreements about Phil Spector’s (over)production.

Is ‘Let It Be - Naked’ still available?

Erm, Let it be was their last (12th) studio album…

Regardless, considering their progression it is hard to imagine what they would have come up with - perhaps it would have depended on the strength of LSD available…

Edit: first paragraph written before reading on. From the Get Back film footage it seemed to me that the music for both albums was developed concurrently. As for the Abbey Road album, I understood at the time from a friend whose brother worked for EMI that its working title was Get Back, only changed just before release. (Said friend had a pre-release copy a week or so early, without cover, but I don’t recall whether it was titled GB or AR.)

If I have understood correctly Get Back was the original Let It Be which was shelved. They went back to studio to finish the Abbey Road recordings (which were the last they did as a group) and that album was released first. Get back/Let it be material was then later given to Phil Spector who made an album out of that (which was then released as their final album and named Let it be).

The original Get Back album was officially released only last year as part of the box set.

2 Likes

Interestingly, depending on what you read, all four Beatles were never again in the same room after August or September 69. There were subsequent meetings but always with one of them not attending.

1 Like