The 300 Series - Just Listening Experiences

Nice to see that you are enjoying the new kit @GeoffC

Just don’t forget to get out a bit as well though. It’s important :joy:

Are you sure that with all the details oozing out that the new stuff has not become a bit of an analytical presentation?

With nearly 40 years of naim ownership and experience, I know what I am getting, thank you!

Having spent a few hours yesterday listening to the new 300 kit with one power supply, that was swapped over between boxes as his second power supply for the full set was out on demo.
I can say for sure things are very different from what i can remember.
Much cleaner sound is probably the best way to describe it probably. It certainly throws more details out than ever before, the sound has certainly moved to a more grown up sound, as it to me it now sounds more relaxed rather than the more forward presence it had.
It’s still dynamic, the sound stage is not massively different to what it was before, just everything sounds clearer with a much better sense off where everything starts, and finishes compared to the slightly blurred edges you got before.
I would also say that the new 300 kit is moving much more to what other kit sounds like, i am guessing that the new 500 kit will sound the same but probably with a much larger sound stage, as really it was the only thing that was missing, and the first thing that i noticed was missing compared to what i have at home.
I guess if i had longer with it then other things would also become apparent, but i came away liking the new gear.
One other thing, for me the power supply on the source i thought was bringing gains, and couldn’t really tell any difference when it was on the pre.
Also i don’t think i could now walk into a demo room not seeing the gear being used, and say i think that’s naim, that to me is how different i feel it’s moved.

But as said i did like it very much and i would certainly have it over the out going kit, and probably some off the 500 kit as well, as i liked the much better detail you now have.

Cheers dunc

19 Likes

Always interesting to hear feedback from people, who had a long relationship related to naim gear.

I hope it is not impolite to ask. Did you own once a 500 set with Kharma speakers?

Hi @Pylod

No, I Have never owned any of the 500 series or the speakers you mention.

Anyone who currently has that series should be in a very happy place, and I think are very likely to want to stay there!

5 Likes

Hi @Pylod,

That was GeoffP from the old forum.

He has got rid of it since including the kharmas

1 Like

To be honest I’m not sure that walking in a dark room listening music a lot of people could find that nac/nap 9x and my SN3 can be considered the same “naim sound” but I feel that they will be perceived as really different.
I assume the same for everything in the naim evolution. Naim is evolving products, improving the performances, developing according to a clear design philosophy. This will end up with products with same “signature” but not same sound. Naim keeps developing according to defined schemas and according to principles that have been explained during the SN3 launch, i.e. changing the alps with a ladder resistor will improve distortion and s/n ratio but it will not change sound signature.

1 Like

Having running my 350s for 2 weeks now - more control, cleaner, detailed but yet the PRaTs are intact.

And everything much quieter! Transformer hums down 90%+ comparing to my old 300DR

So I agree with you - the sound has more grown up feel then the old 300DRs.

4 Likes

Not those old DR 300’s. :rofl:

You are probably right about sound stage, I would say that placement and maybe size of voices and instruments is enhanced on my 332 compared to my old 252. On the other hand I am not a sound stage junky and also both my speakers and all the ansuz tweaks already enhances soundstage anyway. One of my naim friends switched to Audiovector r8 so now we can more or less compare systems, and soundstage is very different because the rooms are. I play in a room about 7 meter long but only about 3,8 meter wide and playing on the short side of the room. My friend has a bigger room that is closer to 6*5 meters are or something like that and this has always influenced the way his system is playing when it comes to soundstage , even though we have had the same speakers and close to same electronics over the last years.

1 Like

oh so old!!!LOL get them 300dr’s a free bus pass

Obviously the room plays a big part, but my room has stayed the same, the speakers have stayed the same, and in the same place. But my sound stage has grown massively in all directions plus depth, just by changing the boxes that supply them.
I can only dream about how it would sound in a bigger room.

But i could walk into a room using naim 500 kit and say that’s naim or not, by just hearing it, as it does have a sound, and that sound is well embedded in my brain still.

3 Likes

Just had the Naim dealer demo in my part of the world. (Sussex) really good session from Jason.
The great takeaway for me was the difference adding the power supplies to the pre amp and streamer made. So for me, no point buying either source or pre amp without.

6 Likes

Ah. Thank you :slight_smile: I think it was mentioned in the following mail, that ut was GeoffP.

1 Like

Thank you for clearing up, Mtuttleb. I remeber now. Geoff P right :slight_smile:

Prove me wrong, but I guess there will not be a new 500 kit for some years to come. Was on a demo of the new 300 set yesterday and the demonstrator from Naim mentioned, they couldn t improve the 500 right now without significant changes. So a white logo instead :slight_smile:

The 300 - 6 box set was very dynamic and detailed. The whole set was tuned by isotec cables and powerconditioners into some Kerr K200 loudspeakers. Unsure, what kind of impact this had ?! Especially Pop and Rock music was really punchy and came from Qobuz. They also played from a TT through the new phono with a dedicated powersuply. I prefered the presentation through the phono even more.

As dynamic and detailed the whole was, I must admit I would not have changed against my 500 set. There was just something missing the 500combo has.

1 Like

Let’s be honest even if naim had the new 500 series to go, it wouldn’t make sense to realise it now, as you want to max out 300 sales first, and then bring out the 500 kit, as that will no doubt get some 300 owners sell, and move up. So more sales.

6 Likes

The reality is that most dealers livelihoods depend on selling new kit. They will obviously put an extremely positive slant (shall we say) on how the latest gear sounds. As critiquing hifi is so subjective it’s easy to describe some extra smoothness (for example) to the sound as an overall upgrade. Then, with respect, those who buy the kit will rightly want to glorify their treasured purchases and sing from the same dealer hymn sheet. My question is this, if hypothetically the 500DR (with white lights) had been released at the same time as the latest 350’s would there be any question as to which sounds best? When the excitement dies down perspective will return IMO.

10 Likes

With you on that one Cohen1263

Perspective will prevail eventually

3 Likes

They could have called it the NC 500 DR, a white light and a bit of PR spin and everyone would be saying it beats the S2!

3 Likes