The 500DR Has Landed - At Last!

Enjoy listening I’m sure it’s a very special amp that many of us would love to own… one day! Congrats on your day arriving.

1 Like

I am sure you will enjoy your system with the added 500DR @NigelB, but don’t listen with the fez on!

1 Like

Just like that.

:rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

If @NigelB is a Steely Dan fan, he’ll certainly be keeping the fez on. As Donald sang, “No I’m never gonna do it without the fez on”.

4 Likes

You know what I’m going to say @NigelB……………………

……….BLIMEY.

1 Like

Hi Nigel, a big congratulations from me. :wine_glass: Enjoy Peter

1 Like

Congrats Nigel, a great system that only gets better. Let me be the first in wishing you success in hunting down the 2nd PS for the ND555 :wink:

2 Likes

I think ‘naturalness’ should become a key hi-fi word - it has always seemed to me that the best of systems are straightforward to listen to, requiring less cognitive effort. This may indeed be true - with everything better defined and clearer, there is less processing need internally to separate out things and hear it properly. But an easy to listen to system that gives clarity, power, punch, PRaT and joy is a wonderful thing. Enjoy!

8 Likes

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts.

I’ll try and post some pics later.

1 Like

Interesting - I have had a slight nagging thought that I could have done with comparing a pair of 707s with my pair of 300drs against the 808s/500 to make sure I wouldn’t prefer the former. Have heard both (well 707s not with my 300s but at kudos event at Acoustica) but months apart so not a useful comparison. I don’t have the space (or ££ to use 300s) to take the 808s active but could have managed to take the 707s active.

1 Like

I think on the day people were evenly split between passive or active……for me the 300,s were a bit too eager to please, the 500 just melted away and left the music……each to their own, both were excellent.

4 Likes

Congratulations Nigel. Cheers mate for sharing your journey! Enjoy!

1 Like

Good news Nigel - A very interesting journey. Enjoy your 500 :+1:

1 Like

Thanks - probably safe with the 808s then :smiley: When I heard the 707s active they were massively better than the 606s

2 Likes

@NigelB
Well done - enjoy it! :blush:

atb, Tom

1 Like

That’s awesome, congrats! One of the moves I would love to make someday!

1 Like

Let me also add my congratulations @NigelB a little late from across the pond. Look forward to pictures as well. Everything off the floor?
Enjoy!!!

1 Like

Pleased for you @NigelB I bet it sounds awesome, just one thing left to do DR the 552 :grin:

Joking - DR or not its an excellent setup.

1 Like

This isn’t helping my dilemmas……

I’ve been auditioning new speakers then my dealer has had 555PS traded in. I’ve picked that up this morning and initial impressions of this on my ND555 are very good and it won’t be properly warmed up yet. I expected the addition of a second supply to have a marginal impact but it appears to be far more than that.

So, the last thing I need to hear is how good the 500 is :joy:

Congratulations though Nigel.

2 Likes

It actually took several months for my new longer run of SL speaker cables to get made up and shipped over to the States!