The ageing hifi fanatic / music listener

Retirement is a fair way off (10 years or so) but in the last 2 years I have spent more on my hi fi than over the previous 10 years ! Rationale is that when I retire there will be no spare money so I am building the best system that I can currently afford and hope it lasts.

1 Like

I had ignored my HiFi needs for a few decades. I had purchased my first Hi-fi system in 1972 which was a Garrard Turntable, Teac Reel to Reel, Pioneer Receiver, and JBL 88 speakers. By the early 90’s after a break-up with my first wife my hi-end separates were gone and I began living with cheaper all-in-one systems, Pioneer, Sony, etc.) I became involved with work, corporate life, travel and relocating around the country.

A few years ago I decided to build a system that I could enjoy heading into my retirement years. I did some research on line looking at various venders, reviews, and forums. I decided to pursue NAIM and there was a dealer within a five minute drive from my house.

Going into the store I already knew I was going with an integrated amp vs separates with the idea of CD player, integrated amp and speakers would be what I needed. Within a couple of months it became a Streamer (ND5XS), Integrated Amp (NAIT XS 2) and Speakers (ProAc D2). A few years down the road the system at the time of my retirement is a NAS with around 2000+ CD’s. I have the XPS DR, NDX 2, Hi-Line, HiCap DR, SuperNait 2, NAC A5, ProAc D30RS speakers. The XPS DR, NDX 2, HiCap DR & SN 2 sit on a Quadraspire Q4EVO Bamboo 4 Shelf Rack.

This is what this ageing HiFi/Music Listener did to insure there would be a very fine system to carry him through many hours during the retirement years!

8 Likes

I don’t think I’ll be downsizing my HiFi and indeed may add an additional box once my daughter’s record player has gone - to be replaced by something digital. I have four shelves and I’m happy to keep them fully occupied! I think my 250.2 and ProAc D20Rs will be around for a while together with my Audiostore server (which is separate from my HiFi rack in the study), the rest could change.

At 58, I see retirement as imminent and the only thing stopping me is that no one else I know at my age has retired; I feel that I can do it financially without having to restrict my spending. A friend I used to play football with was recently diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and he’s only 49 and a work colleague passed away at 67 having just decided to retire, so that has strengthened my desire to do it.

Downsizing house is probably not likely to happen just yet - we have more bedrooms than we need, but the downstairs living space is a good size and don’t want to lose that, or move into an apartment. What is likely is for us to get rid of the dining room we have (in a large through lounge/ dining room arrangement) as we sit at the dining table rarely (and have another in the kitchen) and it takes so much space, so some speaker repositioning is on my agenda to create a better listening environment.

Now the kids have almost gone, I think it’s time to let the brakes off a little.

1 Like

Thank you for your perceptive comments on potential domestic audio bliss with headphones. Years ago I had a pair of Stax electrostatic headphones driven by a Quad 22 power amp. Have to say the sound was pretty stunning with detail and insight in abundance bearing in mind we are in the early 1970s. I find 'phones especially in the summer just to hot and restrictive.
As an alternative. for my wife my dealer brought around a pair of B & W 'phones wire-free retailing at about £330. They can be paired to our smart TV with the speakers either on mute or playing music from another source. Unfortunatly not for her. I deliberated they might be for me but the Stax episode came to mind. Tonight I feel fairly energetic so there might be some music after 11PM. We will see. As the contestants say on the endless repeats of “Who want’s to be a Millionaire” I’am only here once Chris.

I’m 8 years older, and many of my professional peers retired long ago, some in their mid fifties and most by the age of 60. Unfortunately my pension provision until latter years through a employment mostly in a succession of small businesses was rudimentary, and a failed attempt at investing didn’t help. At last I can afford to retire, but with COVID preventing key things I planned to do while still young and reasonably fit I decided I realised every month more working compared to if I retired adds a very significant hifi purchase or contributes towards something else of joint benefit. If travel takes as long as until the end of 2021 to free up I expect to be in a position to do some or all of the hifi thoughts I expressed in a previous post, so at that point I will draw the line. But in tge meantime at least mostly I enjoy my work.

I do keep putting it off. My plan at the start of the year was to retire around now, but it seems pointless with COVID and an inability to do much that I’d want. Latest plan is March next year as it’s the end of the financial year, hopefully we will have some freedom back and also that is when the IR35 regs are changed that will impact small service company’s like mine. Money earnt in the meantime will go to the hobbies fund, which also includes cars and watches.

1 Like

This is a seriously depressing thread!

Do you go all out now while you have your hearing, health, and sanity, or do you play it safe for the long haul? This would of course be easier if you knew you were going to be dead in 5 years or if you were going to languish in an old folks home until you’re 95.

If you don’t go all out now, you might regret it later on, knowing that you could have had that better system when you were “younger “. On the other hand, if you buy an expensive system now, your hearing could be shot in a couple of years, and it would have all been I big waste.

Arghhhhhh…I’m so depressed, I think I need to go buy something to make me feel better…

6 Likes

I’m with you @Gazza

1 Like

It probably doesn’t matter which if you’re given the wrong music to play :smiling_imp:

1 Like

This has become a very real & relevant topic for me as well. In a couple of years, I will be 50. While retirement is probably still quite a few years off, I am starting to come round to consider and plan for this eventuality. Besides the question of when, I am also starting to plan on where and what. My family is on another continent (let’s call it away place) while I work in my home country. My wife has decided for us to settle down on the other continent when the time comes. As such, we will tear down our current residence and rebuild. My main system is with me in home country. Naturally, my wife thinks I will bring the system to our final retirement place. However, sneaky me is having other thoughts. I will maintain my system in home country and go for my ultimate last push system in my eventual retirement place. Then, I can shuttle between the 2 places and enjoy life (we can plan right ?).

In the last couple of years especially this year, I am noticing that some of my peers have passed. I reached an age where I am becoming aware that I am not that young and invincible anymore. As such, I am trying to live a healthier life style lose weight and remain active. This is critical to improve the odds of enjoying life in later years. Regular checkups is a must.

Anyway, the ball has started rolling to plan for this rebuild. I am putting together a plan for a slight larger listening to the one in home country. I wanted to have this on the ground floor but had to move it to the first floor as my wife told me to have the master bedroom on the ground floor so that we do not need to climb stairs.

So the short answer is that I am not planning to downsize but to go for an ultimate end of pursuit reference system when the time comes.

3 Likes

Good point, something which faced me in my early 40s when I became a single parent of a four year old. Faced with the prospect of zero social life I remortgaged so that I could buy my dream retirement system. I have had the benefit of that system now for 16 years, 5 of which have been retired. One of my better investments I must say. Everyone has their own problems and solutions and this was mine. No plans to downsize, I simply love my system. (Not depressing at all!).

2 Likes

“Remember the past, plan for the future, but live for today, because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.”

just about sums it up for me.

A few years back following the death of both my parents and coming up to retirement myself caused a lot of thinking.

Yes our house is probably too large for our needs , but it was built by my father and our family have lived in this village for around 300 years , so ties are very strong. So rather than thinking of downsizing or relocating , its a matter of adapting the home as needed. In future bedrooms could be moved downstairs or a stair lift fitted.

For my musical needs i built a large fully treated dedicated listening room. This was kitted out with my current gear at the time. When i came up to 65 as a retirement present to myself i decided to buy my final speakers , PMC MB2se. Never thought i would buy speakers that expensive , but glad i did.

So i have no plans or needs to downsize .
The system is very unlikely to change , although never say never , as it does exactly what i want.

7 Likes

I try not to think about this too much … too busy living… and this is the point… we are all on a journey each of along different paths … enjoy and celebrate what you love and don’t fight doctor death dance with him… If you need to downsize do it … get some fabulous headphones…etc etc. Enjoy and embrace each day… thats what I try to do…not always successfully. I was reminiscing about Keith Emerson what a waste …

1 Like

Fantastic…jealous…

Would very much agree with this statement. During the time I was working with a patient group of 1500 people I often witnessed, how members sadly fell off the perch due to unexpected circumstances and often far too ‘early’.
Maybe this has made me have the very same approach to my life in retirement. Let’s be sensible but not solely live for tomorrow and in our world there is always one last upgrade. :hugs: Let’s enjoy our music Peter

3 Likes

I’m soon to be 50 and is in the camp where I am expanding the hifi now that funds allow and children get older. Hearing isn’t that good but good enough. Never had better hifi or music coming from it. Now all I need is more alonetime :blush:

2 Likes

I really like this quote. Is this your own?

Unless he’s Luke the Evangelist, no.

10 Likes

Probably one of the best replies I have seen on line

Not unless ive been reincarnated !