The art of cable dressing

One of the nice things about Naim’s Powerline is that the thick rubber outer can be bent into position quite easily, and tends to stay put once you’ve done so. OK, it’s a lot of money if all you want is a nice bendy cable, but it works.

1 Like

Great! I have a 1.5M length of that foam pipe insulation left over from a plumbing job. I can never throw things away, and now I know why I kept hold of it. So, a nice sunday afternoon job for me.
As far as messy cabling goes, as an artist, I always embrace the imperfections of life.

1 Like

And if you don’t have any good use for it and feel like shipping it to the Far East…

I’m not so sure it’s to be considered as thick? Not compared to the handful of competition I’ve had at home for trial at least. In comparison the Powerline feels like a lamp cord.

I’ll get some pics of mine after. The back of the rack isn’t a piece of artwork but it’s laid up ok and the speakers cables and power cables look nice and tidy which is how I like it.

Chris I do like the PL and I do have one but it’s stiffness is also a burden as unless it’s super straight it can look a bit wrinkled. This is really petty I know but I have major ocd with cables. I have an industrial coffee grinder and it’s fitted with the perfect mains cable it’s soft rubber and sits really flat and coils neatly when folded away. This is the soft of material that cables should be made of imo. I know most people wouldn’t give it a second thought but for ocd cable maniacs like me it’s nirvana!

1 Like

I do wonder that if it looks neat and tidy/ we’ll dressed you think it sounds better.

Whenever I take my gear off the rack to dust/clean it and the rack, I always think it sounds better afterwards ( once I’ve fixed all the connection faults induced by me rebuilding it all !)

Perhaps, but what I mean is that it’s a good deal thicker that the standard Naim lead (or Powerline Lite) and certainly a great deal easier to form into the desired shape so that it sits clear of the rack etc and stays that way.

Here’s some pics of mine and the rear although a lot was disconnected here. I do also think you can get too anal about power cables running parallel, in an ideal world they should cross at 90 degrees but they are shielded so shouldn’t cause any adverse effect on the sound. As you can see I’m not too manic about electrical noise as I have a light plugged into the HiFi dbu which I’m well aware is sacrilegious but fortunately it doesn’t seem to change the sound in any way.

I was midway through swapping the system over here hence why the first pic is a 250 and the last a 120!

2 Likes

A few more of my speakers cables and one of my old system I found while looking for a pic for the other thread, probably by best work on Naca taming! :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Very neat :ok_hand:
Lovely, in fact. My wife would :heart_eyes: approve also.

( I am ashamed of my tangle…)

Hi can you tell us the brand of your cable lifts?

What’s the guidance on tidying stock US power cables? Any photos of nice n tidy power cables?

The cables from Dieter Treidler come very close to your wish list. If you are curious, ask your favorite search engine for Netz (the German term for power grid) and Treidler.

Snap! I can’t compete with your room on neatness, but I do like to keep those cables under wraps…

5 Likes

Good call on the Arcs Chris. This must have been a recent move ?

Indeed, I’ve been contemplating a move from my trusty X2s for some time now. There are lots of good speakers out there, but I’m kind of fussy when it comes to looks, which shrinks my shortlist considerably. Very pleased with the Arcs though.

2 Likes

I know what you mean, they have to look good too! Nice solution for the cable concealment, could you sit the speaker over the hole so it is completely invisible?

Cable lifter are my own design and I have website but i’m not sure I can post links on here for fear of breaking the rules…

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Enjoy :+1:

Here’s my attempt at cable dressing, done last October. Only power and speaker cables touch the floor, Burndy’s hang loose and free. I’m not sure if there was a sound quality improvement although I like to think there was. However, I do know I have done all can in this regard to get the best out of my system.

4 Likes