The best 5/10 vinyl

Here’s an outline about what this category is all aboutWhat do you think the 5/10 vinyls everyone should have at home?

Ashtrays largely :slight_smile:

Exactly.

What is a

?

5/10 vinyl: 50% = half a record?
Or a plastic composite comprising 50% vinyl mixed with some other plastic?
Or best 5 records out of a collection of 10?
Or best 5 ten inch disks?
Or of all disks you rate 5/10, which is the best?
Or this
image ?

5 or 10 vinyls.

An very difficult question because it depends on personal taste - what one person loves another may hate, so finding 5 to 10 records that are so univerally liked and that everyone witll appreciate, and so good that they could be called ‘must haves’ is a real challenge. The first question for anyone is to think of things that are one’s own ‘must haves’, then consider which of those will be univerally popular.

I suppose also you need to restrict the ‘everybody’ to exclude those who feel that digital now is better than vinyl and so might not consider any vinyl to be a ‘must have’…

I meant what is famous and that should never be missed

Should be apparent by now that you’re on a hiding to nothing here. The world is full of meaningless lists.

:+1:

Well I would add Kind of Blue by Miles Davis every music lover should own this record. After hearing tracks from it for over 25 years I didn’t own a copy or listen to it front to back until I was 40 and it changed the way I hear music.
Also it has to be in the top five groups of musicians ever assembled and has been influential for well over 40 years.

Do you intend the best sounding vinyls?

Yes

Among the vinyls that I own, the best sounding are the following:

1. Doc Powell - The Doctor (2007, Fonè)
  2. Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar (1977, TBM)
  3. Hugh Masekela - Hope (2008, Analogue Productions)
  4. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (2011, Reprise Records)
  5. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (2013, Columbia)
  6. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991, Warner)

M.

Good choice. 90125 is a particularly well produced and great sounding LP.

1 Like

:rofl:

In no particular order, the ones that usually come out when I want to test a non-digital component are:

Hugh Masekela - Hope. Analogue productions 45rpm
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth - AP 45rpm
Ella & Louis - Verve 45rpm, mono
Steely Dan - Gaucho (bog standard issue from 1980)
Dave Brubeck - Time Out - AP 45rpm
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard - AP 45rpm
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly - Mofi 45 rpm one step (this one is digitally recorded!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.