The Best and not so good upgrades

My biggest upgrade was a 300 non DR. I’d upgraded everything else from a full XS system to NDS/555PS/252. Upgrading the 155XS to the 300 was the last step and it seemed to let all those other upgrades release their full potential too !

I made this upgrade too and was also underwhelmed. Every review I read said it was a substantial improvement, but I didn’t find that to be the case. It was smoother, more detailed, more “correct,” but seemed to have less energy and drive. A sideways move, at best.

If I was starting over and was on a budget, I don’t think I’d bother investigating Lingos 2, 3, or 4. I’d seek out an original Lingo 1, have it serviced, and have the filter removal modification done.

2 Likes

I’m very much at the budget end of things and my changes really didn’t have any pre-conceived notions of what changes should do. These are the things that stood out for me.

The first time you add a power supply to a Naim amp. In my case it was adding a Flatcap 2 to a Nait 5 (and CD3.5)

How much different the core turntable unit (plinth/motor/bearing/platter) makes. I went from a Heybrook TT2 to a Technics SP10 MKII while keeping the same arm, cartridge and phono stage, I was astounded at the improvement.

Changing a stylus to an upper-end JICO.

When you first start cleaning records and realise just how much the gunk in the grooved was masking things.

Underwhelming has been supports and cables, I guess due to my compromised listening environment (a multi use room) and the lower-end nature of my system.

2 Likes

Hold that……incoming……2nd 555PS on the ND555 appears nothing short of magical.

Best
Two come to mind: Going from a Dynavector XX2 MK2 (which is outstanding) to a Transfiguration Temper (then a Phoenix). It really made me realize what a truly upper-tier cart brings to the vinyl experience.

Most recently (as of today): Going from Supernait 2 to NAC 282 & NAP 250-DR. Holy $*#@!

Not-so-good
Typically Power Cables, regardless…they always end up underperforming or not even coming close to expectations.

I’ve had a lot of wow moments this last year but the XPSDR on a 272 was huge to my ears.

Can’t say there have been any let downs.

The 555PSDR on the NDX2 is very good, and not so good. Very good sound wise, but not so good in that it puts the ND555 too tantalisingly close!

G

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.