The best sounding 2021 jazz reissues lps

Only one original on stock at Discogs, for 1200 dollars!!

I looked at my order details and it states that it will ship from 30/12/2021.

1 Like

I have this too a great sounding record.

1 Like

Iā€™m still waiting on a couple of 2021 releases so Iā€™ll reserve judgement for a week but there have been some excellent releases this year Acoustic Sounds, Decca and Blue Note Tone Poet and Classic Series have all been mostly excellent.

I agree with our German friend in the video that Horace Silver and Dexter Gordon from the Classic Series are excellent as is Charles Mingus from the Acoustic Sounds series.

The Chet Baker Riverside reissues by Craft where excellent too the four stereo and the single RSD Mono all sound excellent in my opinion.

As Bob says, the jazz reissues generally have been of a very high quality. As well as the Paul Chambers mentioned above, I thought the Oliver Nelson, Blues and the Abstract Truth, was stunning.

Did anyone buy the complete Lee Morgan at the Lighthouse on vinyl? I went for the CD set which sounds excellent, so I imagine the vinyl does too.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71fj4pFaFuS.AC_SX679.jpg

1 Like

For me a record, CD or digital file is the start of the source first ethos even before the record player, CDP or Streamer no point spending thousands on a hifi system and using it to play a badly pressed, cheaply made record.

Prices for the Analogue Productions UHQR, Mofi and Craft One Steps are over the top I agree but people think nothing of spending that amount on night out or a print to hang on a wall so why not? Iā€™ve posted a few times about my dislike of eBay ā€˜flippersā€™ only to be told they provide a service but like you I find it sad that these beautiful records lay unplayed somewhere.

Analogue Productions are pressing 25,000 copies of the UHQR Kind of Blue record so if youā€™re patient there is no need to pay over the retail price ditto the Tone Poets, Acoustic Sounds and Classic Series Blue Notes as they are not Limited Editions and will eventually be repressed if demand is high enough.
Acoustic Sounds recently reissued John Coltraneā€™s A Love Supreme and a few of the Classic Series like Lee Morganā€™s Sidewinder are on second runs.

3 Likes

Same here, ordered last May every month slips another monthā€¦ā€¦:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Greetings @frenchrooster and all on the forum, just back from my offline escape so belated seasons greetings and hope we all have a healthy and musical 2022.

Iā€™m in agreement with all the selections thus far with the exception of my own personal caveat re UHQR etc which Iā€™ve expressed before so I wont get into that.

So to add to this already fine list, some other selections Iā€™ve been enjoying for the music and not neccesarily just for the SQ, off the top of my head in no particular orderā€¦

The Decca British Jazz Explosion series including Don Rendell Quintet Space Walk and the excellent compilation entree Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain

Jazz In Britain continue itā€™s fantastic not for profit curation of vintage UK Jazz
Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quartet - Blue Beginnings
Mike Gibbs - Revisiting Tanglewood 63 The Lost Tapes
(Jazz In Britain)
And
Ian Carrs Nucleus- Roots (Bewith Records)
Don Rendell - Belladonna (Mr Bongo)

Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come (Speakers Corner/Atlantic) I think was earlier this year?

Abbey Lincoln - Abbey Is Blue (Craft/Riverside)

Pure Pleasure - Nimbus West reissues including Horace Tapscot And The Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra Flight 17 & The Call, Nate Morgan Retribution Reparation (thanks to @TheKevster)

Bill Evanā€™s Trio 64 (AS Series/Verve)

The superbly presented 4LP compilation box set celebrating Impulse Records 60th Music Message And The Moment

:heart:

3 Likes

And a special mention for this re-issue. A new discovery I first heard in the cab and stopped me in my tracks when I heard Gilles Peterson spinning it one Saturday.

Omar Khorshid - Giant + Guitar

A new label to me as well, We Want Sounds, Egyptian Gutarist fusing the ā€œsounds of the Orientā€ originally released in 1974 on The Voice Of Lebanon Label and sounding pretty good.

Nice informative review here from Normanā€™s Records (other shops are available)

:heart:

1 Like

I donā€™t know about best sounding but the reissue Art Blakeyā€™s Jazz Messengerā€™s First Flight To Tokyo is a stunner, everything about the LP release is groovy, good enough recording, flat silent pressings, great gatefold sleeve 16 page LP size book, interviews and the story behind the ā€œfoundā€ tapes and postcards!
:grinning:
Try https://tidal.com/track/207583270 Dat Dere for a sample.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great album, currently I only own it on beer mat
:+1:

1 Like

Greetings Dread! I wish you all the best. Thanks for sharing here.
I would be curious too to have your point of view for the another thread I shared , video by the same reviewer ā€œ the 6 most disappointing lps reissues for 2021ā€ ( music room too).

Kind of Blue - UHQR
Chet Baker - ERC
Love Supreme - Supersense Lacquer

1 Like

Interested what the Chet Electric Recording Co and the Love Supreme Supersense Lacquer sound like on your system both a bit pricey for me though.

I have a Kevin Grey Mono cut of It Could Happen To You pressed at RTI that sounds excellent slightly better than the other KG Stereo Riverside reissues I have.

[quote=ā€œBobthebuilder, post:35, topic:20792ā€]
both a bit pricey for me though.
Acutually very good value !
ERC almost $2,000 now Played with a Mono cart Chet is in the room
Coltrane almost $1,000 now Sounds like a mastertape Hard describe almost magical

1 Like

Iā€™d love to hear both I did a thread on A Love Supreme going platinum and the Supersense Lacquer reissue and admittedly amongst people who had never heard or intended to buy it opinion was really divided.

Personally Iā€™m of the opinion if you can afford it and want it then there no problem at all and personally if I could afford one especially the ERC Chet then Iā€™d be first in the cue.

I watched a video with Chad Kassam, Mike Fremer and the record dealer from Arizona with a beard canā€™t think of his name off hand and they where having a real argument over these Lacquers.

I donā€™t understand people who donā€™t want to buy or hear one getting so hot under the collar.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.