The best standmount speakers for approx £500

Is this is the case, just listen to what he offers in your price range? He might not offer many of the suggestions made here – no dealer has all brands… So I fear most suggestions here aren’t really helpful, unless you change your mind and look into the second-hand market or consider other dealers… Just my two pence…

Yes i originally was thinking of the Kef Q350 or Fyne audio speakers but dpn’t wanna buy from a faceless trader who knows nothing about hi fi or just pile em high and get em out the door, which is why i favour the Dali or Bowers speakers, i currently have the Bowers 601s and they are very ggod speakers for the monet, build quality is superb and it’s also this which i want from a speaker.

Hi henryski, I’m no expert, but I recently went through a similar situation as you, in the end I purchased the Fyne Audio 302’s, if you can get them away from the wall they are amazing, I know you have a relatively small room, but you will have £100 to spend on cables. I’m very pleased with them. They replaced my Linn Kann’s that I felt were not bringing what I wanted. Personally, the second hand route is a sound option. Just thought I’d let you know my story. Good luck and demo them first, naturally.

My Naim dealer stocks Fyne Audio, that’s where I have heard their speakers, speakers can be an issue with dealers because it’s not possible to carry a very wide selection because of cost and space.
I’m fairly loyal to my dealer but my speakers are PMC and Neat, neither of which he stocks.

Yes i might take a deeper look at Fyne they do a floorstander for around £400 it might be the 302s you mentioned but i’ll defo have to trial them somewhere, nothing worse than getting speakers you’re just not happy with. I know some speakers have a bung in to lower the or damp the bass a bit but not sure if they have these available. Plus standmounts seem to be more flexible with positioning as you can turn them on there side or upside down experimenting with best SQ.

Think it was somebody else mentioned the F302’s, I suggested the F500’s as you said you preferred stand mounts, the bass port on the F500 is down firing which should make it an easier fit closer to rear wall.
I agree it’s vitally important you listen to the speakers, preferably at home if not then at the dealer.
I see your room is quite small, I would also consider Neat Iota, tiny and easy to place or maybe Totem Kin Mini, also the small Proac Tablette stand mounts are excellent if you budget can stretch to them.

A well known auction site has a couple of pairs of Neat Iota speakers for sale for less than £500.

As an owner of two different pairs of Neat speakers (but not Iotas) I can confirm that they have great synergy with Naim amps.

Where is your Naim dealer based? The only dealer that stocks Fyne audio in w. yorks or even Yorkshire are richer sounds. I might have to pay them a visit for a demo soon.
I must say the Fyne 500 standmount with centralised tweeter looks the dog’s --------. they’re also bi-wired and aren’t to fussy about being toed in either and come with a 6 year guarantee too.
I also like the Dynaudio Emit 20’s, they also do a white version and maybe a red wood one but don’t know if they’re bi-wired or so.

The Dynaudio Emits are very impressive in this price range.

KEF Q350 was mentioned earlier. I would suggest having a listen to these and setting them as your benchmark.
KEF are usually best known for being capable as all rounders in their price range. Not doing anything exceptionally well, but not doing anything particularly bad either. Seems like faint praise… others might do something a little better, but also something a little worse. At this price.
The B&W 606 also seem like a good one, as does that Fyne 500.
I would imagine them to sound very similar with each other with only some slight presentation differences. So a listening trial is needed. I wouldn’t be too concerned about any biwire option. If they are single wired that’s less expense in getting proper jumpers instead of the nasty links provided.

Wharfedale denton 85th Anniversary looks super and is getting some great reviews.

3 Likes

My dealer is based in Glasgow, he’s independent and stocks a lot of different speaker brands, Proac,Linn,KEF,Dynaudio,Fyne etc. I am aware that Richer Sounds also stock Fyne Audio so that may be your best bet.

The reason i mention bi-wire is because i recently purchased a set of airlocked naca5 jumpers and they weren’t cheap, they improved the sound in my speakers and it would seem a pity not to use them. The B & W 606 and the Fyne audio 500s both are bi-wired but not sure about the Kef Q350s or the Dynaudio m20s. Whatever choice i make, they all seem like extremely well made and all have a high reputation for high SQ. What is important though is that they have a good overall sound balance, that they are not too extreme in any one department. The music i listen to i don’t want to be tired out from it so no harshness or too much forward.

Mry room size is actually 2.80m by 2.80m and i thought it was bigger than this so was quite suprised by the smallness of it. It’s a gaming listening room with the tv central and speakers either side but there’s not a lot of placement option for the loudspeakers so i might get the fyne 500s or Bowers 606. Let’s see!

My room is actually 2.8m by 2.8m i measured it a few days ago and even i was shocked by this tin And why i don’t really want floorstanders.y amount, however it’s a hi-fi gaming room which is really perfect for me.

Mumma Audio Mosen

mos3

:small_blue_diamond:@Henryski,…This in picture,.Mumma Mosen is within your budget.

It is a Swedish construction that unfortunately is not manufactured anymore,because the manufacturer suffered from disease.
I do not know if they were sold in the UK,.but can you find them preloved so buy them.

Each specimen is hand-built by the constructor himself,.and when they were launched it was written that you will never find nothing better for four,five times the money,.at least.
•This I can confirm,.they are “cruel good” and very musical.
I have a couple myself that I would never sell.

Mumma Mosen is also perfect for tube-amps.

/Peder🙂

Mumma Mosen Under

37f577e1e24b1a0bafab1e02e1ee7bc6

:small_blue_diamond:It was also produced a base-bottom part for the Mumma Mosen called Mumma Under…see picture.
I have it too.

This combination got incredible reviews,and was compared with much, much, much more expensive loudspeakers.
I can confirm the reviews…This combination is also “cruel good”.

You never see this combination for sale,.or very, very rarely.

/Peder🙂

I wouldn´t bother with biwire on purpose, even you by mistake have purchased jumpers

if you can’t avoid biwire-con then remove the crap jumpers installed and use your A5 jumpers, in generel biwire is a waste of money, sometime its reducing overall performance

FWIW the mentioned Fyne 500 speakers absolutely killed the Wharfedale Dentons 85’th i’ve tried
Fyne is really excellent stuff created by former Tannoy experts

They have both bi-wire too.
I guess they went out of business because the builder built them far too well as if he was building them for himself or his own family:heart:. A great attitude to have but one that doesn’t or rarely seems to work financially nowadays. Sometimes you get these rare finds in hi-fi!:pray:

I beg to differ about bi-wiring as when i installed them there was an improvement in bass and bass seperation and the instruments were better seperated and defined. And that was over an already installed set of naca5 jumper cables. I just think though it’s because the earlier jumpers weren’t top notch constructed unlike the new ones which were pro airlocked and were superbly constructed.

They do look very hand made in this wood. Wonder how much they originally priced at?
Them stands though i really like them, are they attacama?
They also remind me of the Q acoustics style with a smallish front but very deep depth.