The Best Thing About Naim Audio Electronics

Yep, I lurked on the forum for ages before finally joining and I blame HH for seriously depleting my bank balance. It was his enthusiasm for his recently purchased 272/250DR that persuaded me to demo and then buy a set for myself. And I guess I should thank him for the hours of enjoyment that decision has given me.

Roger

1 Like

Oh dear I think it was probably not having the phone flat on it’s back and of course it’s not a scientific instrument and shouldn’t be used on it’s own to test deck speed but along with the scope and my other half’s ears we managed to get it right.

It is very amusing, to say the least!

Yes - it’s one of the things that is very important to me in a product. I’m always surprised how many quality Hi-Fi products, beautifully finished on the outside, look like a dogs dinner with the lid off. Wiring everywhere, push on connectors, screw terminal connectors etc. Most Naim kit is logically laid out, impeccably wired and uses properly soldered connections. Ok, build time is going to be higher due to the extra work needed and more skill is required to build the product but longevity of service life and reliability in service should be much improved.

1 Like

… and a great example of a tidy designed amp is the new SN3 - not so much different from the SN1 / SN2:

Look at that toroidal transformer! There are really amps around having not even 25% of that capacity.

5 Likes

…is the way they marry with Naim loudspeakers.

3 Likes

If anyone from Linn is reading this:
NOTA BENE (it‘s the forum, silly)

4 Likes

When I was looking for a streamer/pre to replace my 272 in front of my new active ATC speakers, I considered a Linn Akurate but was put off, in part, by the closure of the Linn forum. It still seems a short-sighted decision.

Roger

3 Likes

Keeping it simple, the first time I heard a 202/200/CD5X/Flatcap X I realised it was the sound I had been chasing for the last 20 years.

I bought the system to break it and sell it individually, but after being powered up and I tested it my fate was sealed!

Now I am at a 500 level system and can’t imagine me having any interest in trying anything outside of Naim. I found the sound and have now refined it.

1 Like

Plus the clean lines of the boxes and simple black with green logo works for me. I don’t like fussy looking things!

2 Likes

I do the same with cables, buying them without my wife noticing :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve loved the fact that on the used market I’ve been able to chop and change my system without loosing too much money. The electronics have a strong resale value and are desirable so when you change up you can recoup your investment.

I have a mixture of CB, olive and black boxes. They all look great visually and the fact that everything can be serviced no matter the age brings a sense of confidence in the brand.

This is why I am sticking to Naim!

4 Likes

We have all been there - “are we going to get away with it?” I started with a 250/202/HDX and now have a 500 system with twin power supplies. I have got away with it - just. But maybe the reason I got away with it is because SWMBO knows how important music is in my life and that Naim has delivered me the best I can get in my home. Very strong residuals made it possible, otherwise I would not have got to where I wanted. I have had one dealer throughout and he has been fantastic though I do ask him to do the installations when she is not at home!

I just like the fact that this cottage industry manufacturer of a few amps in the 70s have become worldwide exporters in the digital domain. And they still repair their products component availability permitting.

Regards,

Lindsay

She must have perfect pitch

She can hear a packet of biscuits or a can of lager being surreptitiously opened by me from about a mile away.

3 Likes

You’re welcome!

Is she a musician perchance? It would appear she has excellent pitch recognition.

Ditto! There I was happily enjoying my Uniti and NAP200, occasionally checking out the forum as an interested “voyeur” and blissfully unaware of the 272/250 combo until HH piqued my interest with his posts. Didn’t take long for the urge to become irresistible, so now a little poorer but much happier! Unfortunately for my bank balance I fear the same dark forces are leading me towards a 555PS…!

Oh my goodness, I didn’t realise the rubbish I posted had such an impact. Maybe Naim should give me commission. Joking aside, I’m always pleased when something I post proves vaguely useful to someone.

2 Likes