The Blues Thread

We have a Jazz thread, a Soul thread, a Reggae thread, so how about a Blues thread?

One of my first Blues records bought from a junk shop, I had little idea what this music was but liked the name Howlin’ Wolf. I put it on a cassette and used to crank it up in my old Dads Reliant three wheeler until the fibre glass panels shook with the vibration! :rofl:

jpeg

jpeg

:grin:

8 Likes

When I first joined the forum I started a blues thread hoping to get some suggestions. There was a great response and I started to buy blues cd by the dozen. Some of the early ones that got my journey started are below. Ewemon from this forum was a great help! Some other knowledgable blues fans hang out here also. Here’s five that got me started!

Atb
Kk

7 Likes

Five all-time classics there, Kk.

2 Likes

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Alone & Acoustic.

One of the all-time magic Blues pairings, and a “must have” album.

Robert Johnson - The Complete Collection.

Where it all began, some say, but regardless, Robert’s influence on the blues music which followed is without question.

8 Likes

And the centennial edition is the one I would go for. The best sq that I have.

Atb
Kk

1 Like

Two slightly more modern blues masters. (And one of the three Kings as a rep of the previous generation.)
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour ‘74 - a battered old Strat and a deep feeling for the blues, and immense energy.

Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session. Two great blues guitarists of different generations playing in complete sympathy with each other, and making great music.

6 Likes

I will just drop this one here as I am hoping this will be something special.However as it is radio broadcast SQ may be variable.

Eric Clapton - A Kind Of Blues, a two disc set due out on Friday.
This is taken from his Nothing But The Blues Tour from '94 and I remember @dave-marshall and I discussing the merits of the quality of the music and Clapton’s incendiary guitar playing on the old forum.So here’s hoping :+1:

3 Likes

Had some fun on Tidal last night listening to many different versions of “Baby Please Don’t Go”. My fav was probably John Lee Hooker.

2 Likes

Got a couple of Blues gigs coming up…first up Lucky Peterson in Manchester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY_8kADxzrU

Also going to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd in Birmingham later in year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEqX5CWh7tY

Looking forward to both

3 Likes

Otis Taylor - White African.

As @Eoink suggests, it is all too easy to just endlessly listen to the established blues singers, and completely miss out on present day players.

Otis Taylor admits that John Lee Hooker is his biggest influence, and it’s certainly obvious on this album … as we say, belter! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Then I’m much more a Rock’n’Roll, Blues, Jazz-Blues etc,etc guy,.than one who listens to classical and Jazz.
So I get many tips from different friends,.this tip below I got yesterday.

I haven’t had time to listen to him yet,.but I still put it here.
Someone who has already listened to him,may be able to tell us a little more.
This below I got yesterday…

:small_orange_diamond:"Can you tell the name of Celso’s first blues band? :thinking::thinking::guitar::musical_score:

Celso started playing the blues by accident.

As a child,an uncle of yours had returned from a trip with some vinyl to his nephew,.and Celso practiced his guitar listening to these records. Little did he know that one of the artists he imitate was BB King,.the king of the blues.

Still very young Celso began collaborating with renowned artists on the national stage.
At 17 years old he played with Sá & Guarabira and then played with Raul Seixas, Luize melody until he started his solo career in the early 80.
So before that he had participated in the first national blues band,.the Aero Blues.

Soon on his first album,.sound on guitar, Celso managed to draw the attention of the public and the press and his hit “Increase That This Is Rock’n’Roll” drag crowds.
Celso remembered that at that time,.bands like the Titans, Urban Legion and Red Baron opened their shows.
He also carried with him the memory of Cazuzas first song when he left the Baron, “marginal”, one of the hits of his second

He still had a friendship with BB King,.with whom he released “Mississippi”, a song in honor of Robert Johnson.
Celso was an icon of the national guitar and blues,.that unfortunately went too soon.

But as his music said,.his work “Will Always Shine”.
#blues #bluesbrasil #celsobluesboy #bbking #bluesdaencruzilhada #rock."

/Peder🙂

Lucky Peterson is playing my local Arts Centre on 22 Aug, I’m away on holiday, damn!

https://ropetacklecentre.co.uk/events/lucky-peterson-feat-tamara-tramell/

:grinning:

:grin:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Again, being a Reggae fan, brought me to the music of Rastafarian Bluesman Corey Harris…

:grinning:

4 Likes

1 Like

Lightnin’ Hopkins is one of my big favs. I can listen to him four hours. This set is a great introduction to his work:

51iJuBSPKhL

1 Like

2 Likes