The Blues Thread

Saw this guy in a tiny venue above a pub in Brighton with his son on drums. RL played sat on an armchair with the stuffing hanging out and with a busted amp speaker, awesome!

:grin:

3 Likes

5 Likes

Last one for a bit, but there’s so much to choose from!

3 Likes

One of my all time favs. Hypnotic deep and raw.

Atb
Kk

4 Likes

That must have been awesome, what year was that?

I’ve got an album of his which is very good…his grandson (Cedric) played recently but I was away on hols

Definitely a very laid back approach :grinning:

1 Like

Love a bit of light in,
2 favs below

Atb
Kk

4 Likes

Any Errol Linton fans? Great harmonica

Sticking with the theme of younger artists:
The Hoax. A British blues band from the ‘90s, they are the real thing, blues rock of the very highest level. Thanks Ewemon for the introduction a couple of years ago. Their stuff is available used, and well worth it.

Sunjay, British acoustic singer-songwriter in his mid-20s, he really has a feel for the blues. The album below is early 20th century classics played with style.

1 Like

Can’t be sure it was long ago, I think maybe early nineties. The pub has gone through some name changes, at the time it was called either the Swiss Cottage or Pig In Paradise I think. Just up Queens Rd from the Clocktower on the left after The Quadrant, it’s still a bar but the upstairs broom cupboard of a venue is now closed I think.
Tiny place, I remember sitting at a table when a door just behind me opened and out walked RL bottle of whisky in hand and moved slowly to the “stage” eying the small audience quite intimidatingly, sat in the busted chair and just let rip, Raw and Primal like a kind of Punk Rock meets Blues. I’ll never forget it, it was one of those wtf was that I just witnessed moments.
:rofl:

2 Likes

Probably my best ever Blues record purchase was this wonderful 9 LP box set of Blues recorded at Sun Records 1950 - 1956, nice book, informative, educational and above all timeless music.

It doesn’t get much more authentic than this, for example according to the notes Pat Hare did indeed commit murder after recording this…

:joy:

2 Likes

Ahem!

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

First listen

Atb
Kk

Another LP I picked up back in the dawning of time, again I knew little about the music at the time but was attracted to the sleeve.

jpeg jpeg

Some of the YouTube clips used for illustration sound a bit poor but my original LP sounds superb

1 Like

The only joe I have and it’s an absolute belter

Atb
Kk

2 Likes