The classical music thread

I saw that there’s a new box set of the Sibelius Symphonies on Vinyl by Rattle/Berlin

A cool £170 for the privilege of ownership. Does anyone know this cycle?
I thought Rattle’s CBSO cycle was very good and was my first exposure to the Sibelius symphonies apart from the Ormandy/Philadelphia 2nd (which remains a favourite version of a favourite symphony for me).

Anyone know these BPO performances?

These are available on Qobuz in 24/96 format, and were almost certainly recorded digitally. I personally won’t bother paying $200 for the vinyl, but I added it to my Qobuz library for a spin later on.

You wanted something challenging :grin:

So I grabbed this bit of Busoni for you !

1 Like

Hurwitz defends only his opinion.

Sadly, some people get hot under the collar when they don’t share it.

No doubt everyone will have their own reasons for preferring one or another approach to Sibelius’ symphonies. Accordingly, preferences may differ markedly. From versions interesting to me, I would mention the new recordings on individual discs by Santtu-Matias Rouvali and the Osmo Vänskä set. By the way, Mäkelä’s interpretations also seemed quite engaging. From the recordings of the past decades, I am going to listen to the sets of Barbirolli and Blomstedt in more detail.

Every person’s opinion is subjective. It is okay when it does not coincide with another person’s opinion. Trying to refute someone else’s opinion, as Hurwitz does, may be normal for protectors of group interests like him, but it is not natural.

Assuming this is the same as the cd boxset I bought, I wouldn’t bother. While not necessarily bad, it brought nothing to my experience of my favourite composer.

But I’m a heathen - what do I know!?

1 Like

Listen carefully to his videos.

He gives his opinion, explaining why he has that opinion and not another, and is the first to say that music is subjective and that it’s perfectly OK to disagree with him !!

Sadly, as an on-line critic he is open to abuse from those who disagree with him but don’t respect that he is free to have a different opinion.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at his website for over a decade. With considerable benefit to myself. Every time Hurwitz attacked someone, I knew almost certainly that it was a record worth listening to. Or, on the contrary, if he began to praise something, I knew that I had to listen with caution.

1 Like

But that’s fine. And Hurwitz says it’s fine !!!

He gives his opinion and you can take it or leave it.

The problem comes when he is criticised for giving his opinion.
For goodness sake, it’s his job to give opinions !!!

I have nothing against Hurwitz having an opinion on anything. However, I don’t think anything should get in the way of having an opinion about his opinions. Especially when they are simply bullying. I recall him calling Osmo Vänskä’s Sibelius “dreadful.” Or that demonstration of the plastic doll in the video above. After all, if popular critic doesn’t understand the rules of social conduct, there must be at least some rudimentary taste.

He loved Vanska’s cycle with the Lahti Orchestra, but not so much his cycle in Minnesota. A spade is a spade.

1 Like

Okay, the first cycle of Beethoven’s symphonies on Karajan’s DG recordings may be more to one’s liking than the second or third on the same label. But that’s no reason to call the tremendous work done by the conductor, the musicians, and everyone else “dreadful”. Or to show plastic dolls in a talk about a conductor one’s not interested in for one reason or another. After all, there are rules of politeness. Someone who doesn’t respect others shouldn’t expect respect in return. Imo, of course.

1 Like

Stevie, I assume that the Decca/Anthony Collins Sibelius symphonies had been reissued on LP recently, as I bought a box set of them last year. I can’t remember now where or when.

If you’re referring to that balding clucker on the video above, I must tell you that you have wasted some few minutes of your life by watching it.

He is full of sh*te, and so pleased with himself that he would eat himself if he could. He should be held down while that dreadful fungus is shaved off his face. And the Moderators of this Forum should find a way of stopping his videos being posted here. This is meant to be a place for informed discussion - which that wretched creature is not capable of.

1 Like

The doll was rather cruel and disrespectful.

However, he has every right to say something is dreadful if that is truly his opinion. He explains in an informed manner ‘why’ he thinks that way (unlike some of those who attack him). He has often trashed performances that I particularly like, but, hey, that’s his opinion and I don’t take it personally.

Oh, and by the way, I don’t recall Hurwitz labelling any of Karajan’s cycles as dreadful (well, maybe the 6th symphony :grinning:). Can you post a link ?

Why ? Because you don’t agree with his opinions/recommendations (which he goes at length to explain in an informed manner) ?

Or because of his sometimes abrasive nature ?

I fear the shoe may be on the other foot.

1 Like

Because he’s an arse - which is fitting!

Graham, it seems you’ve taken example from da Hurwitz . Or is this your twin brother posting again?

1 Like