The classical music thread

I listened again this afternoon, and it’s growing on me. (For reasons that I cannot explain, I appear to have bought two identical copies!)

But I need to understand the ‘idiom’ better. I’ll try again tomorrow.

I may be being unfair to it, as I also listened to Yes’s ‘Fragile’ (their best album, I think), Avril Lavigne’s first and second LPs and a side or two of the two Ese and the Vooduu LPs that I have bought recently.

I must concentrate a bit better!

Hello, JDP, as you can see, I have been listening to lots of other stuff, but I think that I should find a few hours to do some comparative listening tomorrow

I have known, and loved, the Quartetto Italiano Beethoven recordings since my University days almost 50 years ago, so that set must start as ‘favourite’. But I grabbed the Amadeus recordings when I saw a ‘new, sealed’ set of LPs for sale, precisely because I wanted to hear how the music would sound when played by different musicians.

1 Like

I have Quartetto Italiano Philips), Amadeus Quartet (DG), and Quatuor Vegh (Valois). After you compare them and let us know what you think, I’ll weigh in with my ranking. :slight_smile:

I have the Vegh set on CD, but my CDS II is ‘sick’, so I can’t play them.

(Which may be just as well, as a three-way comparison may be beyond my tiny brain!)

I just got my new mono cartridge today, and just got it all setup, so I’m playing my 50s Capitol recordings (Analogphonic reissue) of Nathan Milstein’s performances of Bach’s Partitas and Sonatas for Unaccompanied Violin.

4 Likes

I have never heard those (1950s) recordings, but I have read good things.

I recently bought DG’s reissue set of the re-recordings that Milstein made in the 1970s. Absolutely peerless violin playing.

I have that one too. I own six complete sets on vinyl:

1. Nathan Milstein on Capitol (50s, mono)
  2. Arthur Grumiaux on Philips (60s)
  3. Henryk Szeryng on DG (60s)
  4. Nathan Milstein on DG (70s)
  5. Sergiu Luca on Nonesuch (70s)
  6. Sigiswald Kuijken on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi/EMI (80s)

I like them all and play one or the other at different times. Milstein, Grumiaux and Szeryng are my favorites. I have decided yet which I like best nor which Milstein I like better.

I have Milstein on DG and Grumiaux as well as Julia Fischer and Gidon Kremer (odd that one).

I had Szeryng on vinyl (signed!), but that wasn’t enough to keep me from getting rid of it when I sold all my LPs.

I

1 Like

I really like Szeryng though. His version of the Beethoven Sonatas with Ingrid Haebler on Philips is a favorite, even though I also have Perlman/Ashkenazy on Decca. Both are great and I know the later is the more celebrated version, but I really like both. I also have Haebler/Szeryng for the Mozart sonatas too.

My only complete cycle of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas is Perlman/Ashkenazy, but I do have the three Szeryng recorded with Rubinstein.

I also have the Kempff/Fournier/Szeryng cycle of Beethoven Trios.

Finally, I have several recordings by Szeryng on Mercury. I can’t check right now to identify which works I have.

1 Like

Cheers
EJ

3 Likes

A great selection of Vivaldi from the always excellent Giuliano Carmignola - these concerti, not previously recorded by him according to the notes, are from different periods of the composer’s life and are beautifully recorded in sensitive performances. Not to be confused with the Four Seasons!

4 Likes

Handel: Dixit Dominus - Ferrandini: Il pianto di Maria
Sophie Rennert, Deborah Cachet, Rachel Redmond, Michiel Haspeslagh, Alberto Martinez
Il Gardellino, Vlaams Radiokoor, Bart Van Reyn

4 Likes

Love her. Love her voice! :heart_eyes:

That sums it up pretty well!

Bostridge’s latest Mullerin cycle is intense and probing, but also very well sung, an engrossing performance. His voice has dried a bit but gained a welcome edge, and he is well recorded. Giorgini is a better partner for him than Uchida or Johnson, but somehow the recording robs her of resonance, the only sign that this was taped live.

Cheers
EJ

2 Likes

No-one will ever supplant Fritz Wunderlich (with Herbert Giesen) for me in this song cycle.

He died not long after making the recording, which lends added poignancy.

Well, Wunderlich had a wonderful voice that allowed him to sing art song, Mozart and Mahler, but Hubert Giesen wasn’t Saskia Giorgini! And I’m not talking about just his looks :wink:

Saskia Giorgini (a great performance of Liszt’s best piano work!)

EJ

2 Likes

I have no idea who Saskia Giorgini is, I’m afraid.

I’m still smitten from seeing Yuja Wang at The Brighton Festival a few weeks ago!

PS Thanks for the photo. Our posts crossed!