The classical music thread

On SACD, Elizabeth Watts’ brilliant album with arias from operas and cantatas by Alessandro Scarlatti.

Cheers
EJ

I think that Nigel Kennedy has made two recordings of the Elgar concerto, one right at the start of his career (originally for the bargain Classics For Pleasure label), and a later one for the full-price EMI label.

I have them both on CD, and prefer the earlier version.

The one I have is with Vernon Handley and the LPO. The CD is tucked away in a box alongside hundreds of others, so I don’t have the booklet to hand. I must have bought it in the early 90s.

That’s the earlier of the two. I think that he had Simon Rattle as conductor on his remake.

Finally on the Elgar Violin Concerto, my absolute favourite recording was made for CBS, with Pinchas Zukerman, and his childhood friend Daniel Barenboim conducting the London Philharmonic.

This one slipped under the radar - last year’s follow-up to his disc with the ballads and scherzi. Chopin’s preludes include some of the best music ever written IMO, and I’m really happy with Rahman El Bacha’s execution. He relies on a strong rhythmic pulse, with strong left hand and audible pedalling, and on this disc too, his playing most resembles Pollini in his preference for structure and slightly detached objectivity. Prelude no 8 (f-sharp minor) is a highlight - suggest to start here if you’d like to sample his art.

Cheers
EJ

4 Likes

Quite a tour de force. I often find Elgar rather staid and dull (which I think is largely down to the interpretation of the conductor and/or soloist?) but this is anything but. I really enjoyed it, and thanks for the recommendation.

Closing out a productive musical afternoon with Telemann’s flute quartets, in really excellent performances by Nevermind.

Cheers
EJ

2 Likes

Sensational. Thanks EJS.

Not a huge classical music listener, though used to go to Glyndebourne every year and loved it!

Thanks to discussions here I thought I would try these two

Wonderful - will look out a few more

3 Likes

That’s a very interesting view and the complete opposite of mine. For me, the concerto is essentially a love letter to “Windflower” and is full of longing, wistfulness and, in the final movement, an attempt at stoicism, undone by that wonderful cadenza towards the end. So any worthwhile performance for me has to highlight those emotions.

I finally got round to listening to the Benedetti performance and I can understand the praise it has received. It is indeed “grand” playing but it left me unmoved and dry-eyed. For my money, Nigel Kennedy really nails this in his first recording, surprisingly for one so young when he made the disc. And Tod Handley is a much better Elgarian than Jurowski. I also have a soft spot for James Ehnes’ reading with Andrew Davis, another fine Elgar conductor.

Roger

BTW I find the use of the Clarkson comment in 2023 both sexist and ageist.

The Elgar Violin Concerto was one of the composer’s last works. Conversely, it has drawn out some great recordings from young players. I think that Yehudi Menuhin was 16 when he first recorded the Elgar concerto in 1932, or thereabouts.

Apparently, the record company couldn’t get Kreisler so the teenage prodigy Menuhin was brought in.

There is an even earlier performance by Albert Sammons with Henry Wood conducting that many regard as the finest ever recording. The ancient sound has been cleaned up by Mark Obert-Thorn for Naxos and is certainly worth a listen IMO.

Roger

I find this comment in 2023 ageist.

The whole Decca 22 LP wood boxset of Solti’s Nibelungen up on the Bay…

Looks to be quite something.

(I’ve no connection with the listing or seller, just bringing it to our Wagner fans’ attention).

Ummmm…:thinking:
Very tempting

Even I’m tempted…and I’m no great lover of Wagner.

Luckily, a purchase would end in divorce. No way I could smuggle that set in.

1 Like

Well; I consulted with SWMBO, who is working at home today and she said ‘…go for it!’
We agreed a Max Bid value and I’ll let you know in 24 minutes if we were successful :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

I won and am now the owner of the Solti - Ring Cycle Boxset. :sunglasses:
Thanks for the heads up, I think…:joy:

3 Likes

Glad to have been of service.

I await your review!