The classical music thread

Fantastic performances, almost up to his old standard, but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. The Steinway, as recorded, has a nasal, pinched quality and sounds constricted. I still return to this record often because the hypnotic effect Pogorelich used to have on me is still there.

Cheers
EJ

1 Like

Like Horowtiz’s old piano ? :laughing:

Not as bad but it has a bit of that 70s soviet swimming pool acoustic that Melodiya loved to record Richter and Horowitz in …

:laughing:
The worst of Richter recording is usually a live recording.
but often great performance in spite of horrid recording quality and audience noises.

Talking about sound quality: has anyone had a chance to compare the newly issued Klemperer recordings with their earlier incarnations? I am tempted to buy his Fidelio and Don Giovanni if they haven’t messed up the remasterings.

Dvorak’s string quintet followed his American quartet, and the works bear a strong resemblance: I don’t know another composer who let the impression of his travel work through so clearly in their work. Both works, and to a certain extent the 9th symphony, have a bit of a Western vibe.

The Takacs Quartet give warm performances of this work and the op. 105 quartet, a tougher nut to crack but together with op. 106 one of Dvorak’s best works IMO.

Cheers
EJ

3 Likes

I have the Klemperer orchestral box, and where i have older versions (Beethoven, Brahms, and Mozart) the newer versions are notably improved.

Thanks for sharing!

After the record label Collins Classics went out of business, I recall Peter Maxwell Davies set up his own website where you could download or buy CDr copies of some of his works. There was a recording of the 8th Symphony available, recorded live in Konserthaus Die Gloke, Bremen on 25th Sept 2003 by the Bremen Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Peter Maxwell Davies. I downloaded a copy at the time but I think the site is long gone now. I had hoped that Naxos (who picked up the rights to most of the Collins Classics catalogue) would also have picked this one up and produced a proper CD copy but its non-appearance suggests otherwise. A wonderful piece, its non-appearance is baffling!

1 Like

Thank you. That is interesting and disappointing at the same time! And welcome to the site.

Have listened to the Mahler and Mendelssohn on Qobuz. I personally think they’re hugely improved over previous releases.

It’s a wonderful piece. My current favourite is the version by Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra on Channel Classics. Wonderful playing and singing with truly great sonics.
Others worth hearing IMO:
Otto Klemperer with the Philharmonia (EMI) - recorded in 1963, it still packs a punch and in recent remasters, the sonics sound fine;
Simon Rattle with the City of Birmingham Symphony - I’m not usually a fan of Rattle but here he captures the spirit of the piece, ably supported by the wonderful Janet Baker and Arleen Auger;
Riccardo Chailly with the Royal Concertgebouw (Decca) - another terrific sounding recording that will give your hi-fi a decent workout;
Pierre Boulez with the Wiener Philharmoniker (DG) - while many do not like Boulez as a composer, there is no doubt he was a fabulous conductor. His take on Mahler is more modernist, less emotional than some, but it is definitely worth hearing in my opinion. He recorded all the symphonies with DG (I particularly enjoy his 3rd and 5th) but they are all worth a listen.
Leonard Bernstein - did more than anyone to popularise Mahler’s symphonies. Not my favourite although always worth hearing. Generally speaking I tend to prefer his earlier Sony recordings to his later DG remakes although not in the 2nd - the DG recording with the New York Phil is the one to hear. Enjoy exploring!

1 Like

If we’re talking about Mahler’s Second, you need to consider the strange case of Gilbert Kaplan.

He made a sizeable fortune (from publishing books, I think), but was a Mahler fanatic (he owned Mahler’s autograph score of the Second Symphony) and always fancied conducting this piece with some of the world’s great orchestras. He paid Georg Solti (I think, from memory) to give him private lessons on how to conduct the work.

He then persuaded a small record company to allow himself to make a recording of the piece, conducting the LSO.

Not content with that, he paid Deutsche Grammmophon to allow him to record the Second with the Vienna Philharmonic!! I bought the CDs out of sheer fascination at the man’s folly. No happy ending, though, as the performance was a stinker!

4 Likes

One of the famous recordings of Nozze.

Cheers
EJ

2 Likes

Another famous recording - never bettered IMO

Cheers
EJ

5 Likes

Totally agree, absolutely wonderful! My go-to version!

Had the first Nozze on vinyl. Have the second on CD.

I also have versions conducted by Davis, Giulini, Erich Kleiber, and von Karajan. Plus two videos.

It’s also the only opera I’ve seen at Glyndebourne.

Edit - also Jacobs

I have the Erich Kleiber recording on CD, which I don’t think has ever been bettered. Some might find it rather sober, in which case the Giulini EMI set might be as better choice.

Decca should think of an Erich Kleiber Edition, re-releasing his (sadly few) recordings on brand new LPs.

1 Like

My discovery of the year so far. Unexpected delight.

1 Like

This is favorite recording of all time. Absolutely perfect, in my opinion. I would add that Ted Libbey, who used to host classical music programs for NPR in the U.S., and who wrote a couple of guides to building a classical music collection, once told me at a book signing that he pretty much agreed! So I’ve got that going for me. :grinning: