The classical music thread

I haven’t heard the Bruno Walter/Columbia SO recording of Beethoven’s ‘Pastoral’, but I rather doubt that it tops Karl Bœhm’s recording with the Vienna PO. It is good that Bœhm’s record will be released as part of DG’s Original Source series - it is a desert island disc for me, as are Carlos Kleiber’s recordings of the Fifth and Seventh. (If I had known that the Bœhm record was to be included in this new series, I wouldn’t have bought a new LP a couple of weeks ago.)

It is eminently possible to put together a great Beethoven symphony cycle just from Vienna Philharmonic DG recordings from around the time that Kleiber and Bœhm were making those records.

I would suggest that you try to hear the Bruno Walter/Columbia SO recording of Beethoven’s ‘Pastoral’. I think it is a fine recording. My preference is for the SACD, although the much more recent remaster is also good. HDTT have also released a tape transfer.

1 Like

Walter’s Beethoven 7th revealed the wonder of classical music to me. The 6th is equally good. His was the first cycle I bought.

Please don’t be so quick to dismiss the Bruno Walter 6th if you haven’t heard it. It really is quite good.

I have the complete Boehm cycle on LP. It’s a reprint from the “Beethoven Edition” series.

I would largely agree about Gilels. It is a superb, if not quite complete set of the sonatas. However, what on earth was he thinking with the Pastoral sonata, it sounds so poor next to Brendel’s analogue version. Almost like he has missed the point of it entirely. I am not a big fan of Brendel’s Digital set.

I have heard the Walter 6th and it doesn’t beat the Bohm. Nothing I’ve heard so far can do that and I think I must have heard over 40 versions. :slight_smile:

Monteux ?

Interesting but a bit rushed and an odd balance with soloists sometimes over emphasised in my opinion. Bohm is joyful and almost “swings” in places.

1 Like

Karl Böhm made some wonderful recordings with the Vienna Phil. I particularly like his set of the Beethoven symphonies, he also recorded some very fine Haydn symphonies with them. He seemed to obtain a very unique sound from the VPO.

1 Like

I of course agree that the orchestral version is vastly preferable, but it was effective on the pipe organ. I recall being quite moved by the crescendo/decrescendo toward the end, which was well done. I don’t have enough knowledge of organs to understand how that was accomplished, but here are the specs of the organ that was played. Perhaps you will see the type of general crescendo pedal or some similar capability of the sort you mention above!

1 Like

That was my first recording of Mahler No. 2. I enjoyed it a lot (and still do). Since then, however, I can’t really get away from the Bernstein recording with the Vienna Philharmonic:

2 Likes

The Vienna Phil have never had an official chief conductor, but Bœhm was their de facto chief, and they made some lovely recordings together. I like particularly their ‘live’ recording of Mozart’s Don Giovanni, the same composer’s last piano concerto (K595) with Emil Gilels, and - perhaps most of all - Beethoven’s ‘Pastoral’ Symphony (which is just about to be reissued in the Original Source series).

1 Like

Both the Mehta and Bernstein are great. Also Bernstein’s Columbia Records version from the 60s. I am partial to the Solti/LSO on Decca.

1 Like

A litle more info about my copy. It’s a “record club” reissue with “STERLING” in the runouts so it’s likely mastered from a copy tape and pressed in the U.S. I’m playing Symphony 6 now. It doesn’t sound bad. At least it’s not a totally crappy, noisy Italian club pressing on recycled vinyl with label paper still embedded in it.

Tidal introduced this very interesting release. Until recently I connected Kennedy Center exclusively with jazz, I need to admit I did not know the orchestra nor the conducter.
I made it through #5 and #6 until now. In #5 I have a little problem with the tempi, slightly too fast for my taste, but the intonation is great. #6 is very good in all means.

5 Likes

I saw the orchestra and the conductor yesterday live with Hilary Hahn on solo violin….

6 Likes

He was at one time chief conductor of the Manchester-based BBC Philharmonic where I often heard him conducting in the ciy’s Bridgewater Hall and on BBC Radio 3. I think he’s currently a guest conductor of the London Symphony.

IIRC he was involved in a project entailing performances of all the Beethoven Symphonies in Manchester.

Roger

1 Like

Listening to Classic Fm yesterday in the car and happened to hear:

Concertino No.1 for Clarinet & Strings by Charles Camilleri played by BSO. I don’t have a copy of my own but thought I’d just listen again on Qobuz - couldn’t find it. Tried Apple Music, again couldn’t find it. Thought I’d try a well known auction site - couldn’t see any for sale. Tried the Big river - Yes but at a cost of £79.79 - maybe too costly for a CD? Tried a number of download sites eg HD Tracks, Presto, no luck.

I do not have access to Tidal - can I ask if anyone could confirm if it available via that service. Don’t think they allow download/purchase but might be good to just know if they have it on their catalogue.

Found the score, not too expensive. All you need is a little practice then :wink:

And yes, Tidal has it:

Try Mewga as a search term on the other services.

I think this is the album in question

Camilleri-2