The classical music thread

Hi,

Great thread. I like to listen to classical music as well. Mostly baroque, both instrumental as choral. I just downloaded this album from the Atma Classique website. Looking forward to listen to it tomorrow.

when I was 40 and in grad school I wanted to learn more of classical so had it in the car , our local station is KUSC station a the universityI’ve heard enough early works. For some reason I was always searching for new works that 20th C transition has always been my ideal time frame. I had several friends who said I was very unusual in my tastes, . When I had a job in Santa Barbara I went to the Ojai Music Festival and over the weekend and 5 concerts it was such an education with composers and conductors talking about their works, and some amazing performances. Then in LA a friend said why don’t you get a series tickets, so 16 years of the Phil and Esa Pekka Salonen conducting and then Disney Hall was built. It was an incredible experience. then I went to the opera, now I do the Met opera broadcasts today was two works and a favorite Blubeard’s Castle. I’m in the desert now 2 hours away and have my CDs stored in my Star HD much of it contemporary and at night KUSC with Jim Sjveda. very knowledgable and great taste in music performances . recently used my iPad to surf the different streaming services from around the globe. It is amazing and of course this forum is a fun outlet and information.

3 Likes

Simon Rattle/CBSO recording of the 4th is very convincing I find. Worth a try.

1 Like

LAwolf8, that’s one excellent resumé of a musical life. I, too, was in back in school at 40, in a move from science to the arts. It eventually led to me working as a filmmaker with musicians, composers and improvisors. A great time. But long gone. Now I sit and listen. Once saw Bluebeard in performance in the UK. A stark work, not easily forgotten.

Here’s one with striking cover art. Excellent range of music from old to new, 700 years.
Jeremy Denk came by and played Bach here in South Yorkshire a couple of years ago.Another memorable evening,

3 Likes

Birthday recently and, being the antediluvian I am, several CDs arrived from family:

A great value box set of Tilson Thomas’ Gershwin recordings, including Rhapsody in Blue using Gershwin’s 1925 piano roll (blimey, it’s fast) and two recordings of the rarer Second Rhapsody.

A late 80s recording of 17th century ‘popular’ music with some quite hilarious ‘authentic’ pronunciation going on which makes it sounds comedically ‘Wezt Cundry’ to moi earrs.

An album title straight out of Viz. More fun Renaissance stuff, much of it soundingly like the sort of thing that gets piped into the background of documentaries on Shakespeare or similar. The title, it is claimed, is a popular phrase meaning ‘Johnny, doff your hat’. Yeah, right.

Mark

1 Like

There’s nothing like the old musicke.

1 Like

here is a favorite John Adams piece, also the Violin concerto Gnarly buttons for small ensemble has short entertaining quirky pieces.

4 Likes

A second CD from my recent shopping in the Dutton Vocalion Winter Sale. CD dates from 2008 and all new pieces or orchestrations to me (Most are listed as world premiere recordings).
Perfect Sunday afternoon/evening listening.

The Crossley-Holland Symphony in particular is full of VW and Bax influences.
The other tracks are lighter arrangements.
Again very well recorded.

Quite a bargain at £0.99.

Crossley-Holland-sy_CDLX7215

1 Like

This is a cracker, playing and audio. Another 99p buy from Barnardo’s charity space.

1 Like

Younger Faust. Another recent pick up from the endlessly growing stores of discarded CDs.
Part of a dual project of catching up on the music of Bartok and Brahms.

1 Like

Exploring the symphonies of Tchaikovsky. Not very familiar with them. Bought this CD second hand.

1 Like

The companion Bartok disc by Faust is worth seeking out too.
Sonata for Solo Violin
Sonata for Violin & Piano No.1
Isabelle%20Faust

3 Likes

…and while we’re on the topic of Isabelle Faust, a fine version of the Schubert Octet:

Schubert%20-%20Octet

Stephen

3 Likes

Thank you. Yes, I stumbled onto the existence of this volume this afternoon, I had not known about it before. HM have now reissued both volumes together but I will search for the original. Lovely photograph, IF looks so young.

Yes, it dates from 1997. I can remember buying it soon after release following review in Classic CD magazine. If I recall it was a midprice release.

I found a copy earlier this evening on that site that sells everything. Not under Faust’s name but under that of Ewa Kupeic. Less than £2. All good.

1 Like

Dolce la morte ​is an opera by Suzanne Farrin for counter tenor and ensemble (oboe, bassoon, harp, violin, viola, cello, double bass) based on the love poetry of Michelangelo.

Eric Jurenas, countertenor
International Contemporary Ensemble
David Fulmer, conductor

Minimal opera, solo voice, small ensemble. Contemporary but with link back to Monteverdi and early vocal music. On the streamers, and Bandcamp, etc…

Hannes Minnaar, Bach Inspirations, streaming this evening.
BBC Radio 3 Building a Library selected Minnaar’s Beethoven 5th Concerto as the recommendation last weekend. I looked Minnaar up on Qobuz and as I was not up for LVB this evening I thought I’d listen to Minnaar’s Bach CD. It’s excellent. So now I have yet another young player to catch up on. Marvelous times.

4 Likes

Viaggio nel tempo

Viaggio nel tempo

Ernö Racz (double bass), Veronika Trisko (piano)

Kontrabass in a different world from which we usually hear it. A warm one.

Another excellent release from Gramola.

1 Like