The classical music thread

Yes, I agree with your comments. I often find that when I do return to a Haitink recording, I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is. He is a master at balancing an orchestra. His performances could often be the version to first learn a work before moving on to different ‘interpretations’ (using that word wisely).

1 Like

There’s a movie/opera version on DVD of his “controversial “The Death of Klinghoffer.” It’s based on the 1985 Achille Lauro ship hijacking and murder of Leon Klinghoffer. Some found the libretto (Amy Goodman) to be anti-Semitic. You can judge for yourself. Adams has written about the accusation in his autobiography, “Hallelujah Junction. “

Sanford Sylvan, who passed away a few weeks ago, is the baritone playing Klinghoffer. Peter Sellars was the stage director and I believe assisted with the movie version. Definitely worth watching…

1 Like

May I ask what is your go to conductor?

I appreciate this may be a little controversial :grinning: but I don’t intend to be patronising or tendentious. My own view leads me to steer a little clear of boxed sets and I tend to look for recommended versions of each individual work. There’s nothing inherently wrong with boxed sets of course but sometimes you do find some real gems by looking for separate individual performances.

For example, as there’s been talk of Mahler 2 and Mahler 6, there’s a superb (live, with applause and occasional audience noise ) performance with Jurowski and the London Philharmonic of the 2nd symphony and I love the recent Currentzis/MusicAeterna performance of the 6th.

Each to his own, I know…!

Stephen

2 Likes

Oooh, good: we’re going to end up with a much debated list of favourite Mahler recordings! :wink:

Stephen

Yes, I have that DVD, I haven’t watched it for quite a while, but enjoyed it. I have also watched the El Niño DVD, but didn’t enjoy it as much as the others.
Another modern opera I have watched several time on DVD is Kailua Saariaho’s opera L’amour de Loin. Very unusual but great music.

1 Like

I sometimes look at the Gramophone recommended recordings of Mahler, Beethoven etc, I don’t necessarily agree with all the choices, but they are a good starting point.

Of course it depends on the repertoire, however, for the three composers above (Brahms, Bruckner and Mahler) I tend to first reach for Bruno Walter’s recordings. If I had to pick just one conductor (which I don’t), I usually gravitate to Walter as my “go to.” With that said, of active conductors I really enjoy Jansons, Gatti, Barenboim, and Salonen. I better mention my affinity for Klemperer, Furtwangler, Celibadache, and Szell. So hard to pick just one…

1 Like

I agree. I always try to find a “Gramophone” review if I can. I also find the Presto Classical website good for pointing to decent reviews.

Stephen

1 Like

Yes, Presto Classical and Gramophone are good sources for reviews. I also recommend Music Web International’s website. However, without wishing to sound arrogant, I take less notice of reviews these days and enjoy hearing different interpretations of familiar works, often following my interest in particular conductors or orchestras. There is no one definitive recording of any work, only different versions. Unless the listener is a very skilled/trained musician or academic, then who is to judge which is the best version!

1 Like

My favourite Bruckner 7.

Just finished listening to it and it is wonderful performance. It is very right and precise. I like that - it’s a bit why I’m not too fond of recent interpretations. However - I feel a bit hypocrite here. I did enjoy currentzis (and others) recent undusting work but I’m not sure about it yet.

Its like a lady having quite some well done make-up: it looks nice on first impression but then what’s count is totally unrelated. Don’t know how to put it better…

Anyhow, this was the week where I learned to appreciate Mahler. 11 years Bruckner, 3 years Tchaikovsky, a week Mahler. I hope I will live long.

1 Like

Been obsessed with the search for the perfect Bach partitas lately. The Faust you recommended is very nice. I still don’t care for Milstein as much as I’m supposed to. But the real discovery is Hahn. Listening now.

This is absolutely spectacular, better than any interpretation I’ve heard before. I can’t wait for the second installment (later this year I think).

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more- marvelous!

https://static.qobuz.com/images/covers/20/99/0761195129920_600.jpg

Another recommendation for this music…

3 Likes

I would agree here. I’m old enough now to follow my own ears, and I tend to trust the artist more than the reviewer. I’ll read the reviewer more as a source of learning rather than a guide to what I should buy or listen to. Take the recent release of Parvo Jarvi’s Sibelius symphonies. If I had followed The Guardian’s review I would have given the set a miss but I tried it for myself and found many things going on that I liked. And, then, this morning, it was good to hear the set given a very strong detailed review on BBC Radio 3.

1 Like

The recent release is the second installment. The first was released at the beginning of her career on Sony, decades ago. Another stunner.

This one is by far one of my favorites!

Again, this is CT’s third recording of these works, on Erato/Virgin and Hansler previously, stunners, too

My accidental discovery of the week, violinist Laurent Korcia. Totally new to me. Picked up a couple of very cheap CDs, both wonderful. Doubles Jeux is a mix of jazz, Ravel, Debussy, Piazzolla, and the other, as the title indicates, is Bartok. I will be looking for more.

1 Like

My understanding is that she was redoing sonata 3, and partitas 2 and 3 for an upcoming release…

1 Like