The Die is Cast

Hi end and hi current enough to drive reasonably large speakers to fill a reasonably large room.

2 Likes

Yes many people do, and i think there is a good chance that Naim will introduce a new top of the line one-box in the next few years.

But when you talk about products above 10K then it’s mostly about taste and features, not about quality. For 5-10K you can get very high quality, neutral measuring equipment that can drive almost any normal pair of speakers in a regularly sized room.

1 Like

This also offers an external power supply in case you need more.

1 Like

“Normal” and “regularly” are the key words.

It’s not their design philosophy. I’d expect a two box 500 level integrated. The casework will be machined aluminum and have a higher profile. Priced at $40k.

1 Like

i can see this happen. indeed, the brand philosophy/likes separation of PS.
by the way, nice taste with the T+A example, Katzky

That’s apples and pears ofcourse, the other poster was talking about a high end all in one, this T+A is an integrated amplifier (wonderful product + brand by the way).

1 Like

I am talking about this:

The Nova is priced somewhere around the X. Sure there is a bit more quality to be gained by investing quite a bit more (time/money), but not much. And after a certain point you will starting wasting more resources than what you are gaining in sound quality.

4 Likes

Subscribe.
Indeed Nova is a marvellous product.
Not many people actually “need more”.

2 Likes

I have no idea why people always (by always I mean for the past 40+ years) think that quality one box solutions are the new way.

There is nothing new about about. Since the 60s onward, fully integrated lifestyle systems have always been more popular. When I was in the trade in the 90s, integrated amps outsold pre-power combos 100:1. Lifestyle systems always generated even more sales than integrateds.

The consumer has always been able to drop several months gross salary on a receiver (of which things like the Nova are the modern descendent).

Pre/power and separates in general have always been a niche. What has really changed isn’t the demand, it’s the personal circumstances of a customer. Every year, many multi-box owners change circumstances (maybe due to a move or just age or different life priorities) and mistake the fact they they personally would be better off with a smaller box count with a broader new trend. A trend that hasn’t happened. All that has happened is they have joined the club that most people were already in for the last half century.

It’s a bit like how every generation think they were the first to discover sex. Got news for you all. :grinning:

If Naim wanted to join the mainstream they could have done so at any time in the last 40 years. In fact they did decide to join the mainstream: Uniti products. They just decided to cap it below their Classic range for the most part.

I don’t see a problem with this. If you want something smaller like the OP that is still high end, why does it need to have the Naim badge on it?

6 Likes

No it is not. Unless you’re adjusting for income. I’ve yet to experience diminishing returns. Well… the SL speaker cable wasn’t a good value considering my speakers are “entry level”.

Like the Atom HE v Bartok. The Bartok is absolutely worth the premium if you are an audiophile, use headphones, and can reasonably afford it. I had the Berkeley Reference which many consider the best red book dac in its day. The Bartok took it to a different level. It’s possible most people don’t experience sound the way I do and the difference might sound subtle. I can’t say for sure but I almost immediately heard “it”. Once you hear “it” you’ll know.

I’ve said this many times but I’ll reiterate… Some people can hear the value. My wife unfortunately isn’t one of those people.

You should demo a Bartok especially if you’re into electronic music. You can get 90% of it in the Atom HE but that last 10% is what matters… if you’re an audiophile with tastes similar to mine and hate money as much as I.

3 Likes

That has indeed been my impression

Because the glowing green badge is hypnotic?

1 Like

Yes you’re proving my point, that is what diminishing returns are. 10% more subjective quality at 5 times the price.

2 Likes

Given the potential outlay and overall cost of the target system, is it feasible to fly into one of the mainland cities (I assume you’re on an island as I think there was reference to 2000 miles and protectorate) for a long weekend of demos? Even if it’s not in situ, it might still prove worthwhile. Plus you get a nice little city break.

1 Like

Isn’t that a ridiculous statement to make if you haven’t actually heard the ‘big bland super-integrated’ in question? I haven’t heard the Diablo myself, but a hi-fi dealer I know (who stocks quite a few very high end brands) took delivery of a Gryphon Diablo and said he was astonished by how good it was. It was on my shortlist to test along with Vitus & T+A when I purchased my own current amplification.

Would you also brand the Vitus range of amps as being simply “big and bland”?

I did not mention the Gryphon Diablo.

But the value of that 10% is worth the price. It’s just a function of disposable wealth. The return on, which for some, is a relatively minor outlay is much larger than the first 90%. For some the last 1% is a greater return than the first 99%.

Most people would probably consider the Nova way to the right of the curve. My wife asks me why I don’t just listen to music on my iPhone. Your placement of the Nova is completely subjective based your experiences and circumstances. It’s impossible to plot this objectively because hifi is purely subjective.

If you believe this then I recommend you demo the Bartok. I can practically guarantee the only sticking point is the cost relative to disposal income. If you can reasonably afford it you will buy one. You will not wonder if it’s significantly better that will be immediately obvious.

Sorry I’m not a sales rep… it’s just the Bartok fundamentally changed my hifi worldview. Music is also very important part if my life it’s not just for background listening. I very likely would’ve been absolutely thrilled with the Atom HE if not for the Bartok. The Atom is still great but it just doesn’t do “it” for me.

There’s also the us brand Constellation. Their Inspiration integrated is on the Gryphon price level.

1 Like

I doubt if any reputable HiFi manufacturer would agree.