The Electronica Thread

Uptempo. Downtempo. Abstract and jazzy. House or techno. Old or fresh. Someone just on their own at the computer or a whole collective sampling.
Synths. Moogs. Theromins. BBC Radiophonic workshops. The Future.
Please share yours.
I’ll start with

5 Likes

Made in Düsseldorf…

3 Likes

1 Like

Made in Frankfurt. :wink:

4 Likes

1 Like

Albeit more on the jazzy-downtempo side than the electronica one…

There’s a lot to choose from. However, I appreciate Vince Clark’s work, mainly because he took the hard way route.
What I mean is: everytime he made ( with association with others) a class act group/ name ; jumps for another project. Impressive.
Starts by creating Depeche Mode. Opt to jump. Create Yazoo ( with one of my fav female voice Alison Moyet) . Jumps. Erasure. Jumps… :sweat_smile:

Made a album with Martin L Gore VCMG2012 that I recommend. (Of the treads music genre)

2 Likes

Made in Berlin… :wink:

8 Likes

And please dont forget about The Assebmly with Fergal Sharkey :slight_smile:

Alex

1 Like

Patrick Cowley, perhaps not as well known as his mentor Giorgio Moroder.
Influential in shaping electronic disco, but also some of his more introspective abstract experiments are still relevant and can be heard influencing today’s music.

4 Likes

Ulrich Scnauss

7 Likes

Another early influencer, Japanese electro ensemble Yellow Magic Orchestra incorporated influences from western pioneers like Moroder and Kraftwerk, and crafted what later became known as the video game sound.

3 Likes

One of my favorite albums from the early 2000s!

1 Like

The period from roughly 2000-2004 is sometimes regarded as the second main period of modern IDM music, after the golden age of 1992-1994 in which many of the genres’ most acclaimed albums were made. Young producers who grew up listening to the music of artists like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Biosphere and Global Communication in the early nineties, started creating their own music in forms that were both an evolution of the sound they loved, as well as a starting point for a branching off into new and unexplored directions.

From 2003: Yasume - Where We’re From The Birds Sing A Pretty Song

4 Likes

Susumu Yokota has been an artist I’ve been following from the start before his untimely death.

Susumu Yokota and Rothko. Distant sounds of summer. 2005

3 Likes

I didn’t know he passed…

Another Japanese artist who left us much too early:

Rei Harakami - Niji-Zou

Vince is great and doesn’t get the recognition he deserves. His long standing partnership with Andy Bell continues to this day with Erasure releasing The Neon just a few weeks ago. The latest in a long line of works.

1 Like

1 Like

It all begins here, doesn’t it? Switched-On Bach by Wendy Carlos

And from it’s just a small jump to Tomita

4 Likes

This early Vangelis is a good one…

4 Likes