The Electronica Thread

Stumbled on this today, suits the day/mood.

The first record to feature sampling. By the time of its release in 1981, YMO were starting to pull ahead of Kraftwerk

2 Likes

The Human League’s first two singles, released on the independent Fast label in 1978 and 1979, were uniquely English (and Northern English at that) electronica. They also sounded like the future; and, despite the obvious primitivism of both recordings, they still sound like the future today, more than 40 years on.

5 Likes

Another great 1970s English group of pioneers of electronica, and inventors of industrial music, were happy pop group Throbbing Gristle. Creators of some of the darkest music of their or any other time, TG dealt in death, perversion, paranoia, and confronted the depravity and sickness at the heart of man. In Chris Carter they had a synth genius, they wrote some beautiful tunes and were often deeply, darkly funny. 2nd Annual Report (1977), DoA (1978) and 20 Jazz-Funk Greats (1979) are the ones to get.

5 Likes

Let us not forget the mighty Cabs. Cabaret Voltaire are/were the first of all the English electronica outfits, forming in sheffield way back in 1974. They invented garage electronica, and their early records in particular had a scratchy, primitive quality whiuch meant that they slotted in nicely with punk and post-punk. “Nag Nag Nag”, from 1979, is still one of the greatest singles ever made:

Kirk and Mal had many adventures after Chris Watson, the other founding member, left in 1981 to become a world-renowned sound recordist; including not entirely happy liaisons with Virgin and EMI, but theirs is an extensive and hugely influential legacy. Best album? Difficult to choose, but I like the lo-fi Live at the YMCA, the soundtrack Jonny Yesno, Mix-Up, Red Mecca and Body & Soul.

Incidentally, they (or rather he, as Richard Kirk is the sole remaining member) have a new album, the first in 26 years, out this Friday!

4 Likes

Some while back I stuck on Floating Points’ Late Night Tales mix. The first track was this single extended organ note pretty much, and it got me right here.

Still not heard the rest of that mix as I looked up the artist of that opening piece and have been hooked to Sarah Davachi’s soundscapes ever since.

This is her latest work:

3 Likes

1 Like

Reviving this thread before it dies… :innocent:

One of my favorite electronic artists: Higher Intelligence Agency - Skank

3 Likes

Unusually quiet times, suits the mood.

1 Like

4 Likes

Some more recent ones:
Khonnar by Deena Abdelwahed

Abandoned City by Hauschka

Tripping with Nils Frahm

1 Like

For those with access to internet radio / Vtuner, Groove Salad from California, really good mix of electronic sounds and great sound quality too despite being just 256k. A good way to hear new material.

4 Likes

Ahh nice, that has been my daily background station since early 2000 (seriously!). :+1:

Some of the other stations in the SomaFM network are nice too, Deep Space One, Space Station Soma etc.

3 Likes

Love Burial

Ditto on Burial. Untrue was an exceptional album.
Thanks for the others, too. I hadn’t heard of Jan or Alva Noto. Really enjoyed the Insen one.

1 Like

Fingers Inc from their debut LP Another Side 1988. Larry Heard and Robert Owens where just a killer combination I bought this when it came out and it’s been in my head ever since.

3 Likes

I loved Alphawezen’s debut and follow up albums, especially En Passant;

And also loved Ellen Allien& Apparat;

This was one of my favourite demo tracks back in the day…

2 Likes
1 Like