The folk thread

One of my all time favourite tracks … Roy might be 81 today.

7 Likes

Forever I knew well, as it was on the Electric Muse box set which I played repeatedly when in my teens.

Downloaded yesterday … this piece of music (Plunkett) is another favourite. Luke’s version is almost as good as this piano version.

3 Likes

How to follow Luka Bloom? Here’s Christy Moore with Richard Thompson’s song ‘Beeswing’.

2 Likes

I was having a coffee in Stroud a couple of Saturdays ago, when I heard this tune played by a busker. All conversation stopped - until I remembered what is was called. Great song - not a bad version too.

1 Like

RT has said he likes Christy Moore’s cover. I always assumed the song was about Sandy Denny, but RT suggests it is inspired by Anne Briggs and also a young stableboy called Ted who became a tramp. I guess the power of RT’s best songs is that they catch a resonance and can be seen in the context of many people and events.

1 Like

As a footnote, Anne Briggs is very much alive, but does not sing often in public. I think she last recorded in 1993? She has a wonderful back catalogue.

I had to look her up as I don’t have any of her music. She still sounds good (Arcadia on Bandcamp).

1 Like

She’s on Topic I recall. She is reputed to have introduced Bert Jansch to folk music.

2 Likes

Young Anne. 1963 recording. ‘She Moved Through the Fair.’

2 Likes