The folk thread

A fine way to be remembered. And thanks for your memory. @catswhiskers

1 Like

Just been reading the anecdotes about him! Boy he was a one off. Superbly talented artist as well as a brilliant musician. He could lose money more quickly than Boris Becker. He often started a meeting by saying sausage me a Gregory. Cockney rhyming slang experts will be able to work it out.

1 Like

Dis played my local folk club from time to time in the mid 60’s, always very
entertaining in a slightly
mad way and a wonderful guitarist, I remember him joking when playing an instrumental “this is the bit that drove Bert Jansch mad”.

2 Likes

Lammas Fair - by Henry Parker https://henryparkermusic.co.uk

Available from Bandcamp.

2 Likes

In memory of Simon Emmerson Afro Celt Sound System and The Imagined Village who produced a glorious fusion.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/23/simon-emmerson-obituary

9 Likes

Was introduced to this via a friend/ex neighbour and a lovely day of speaker dems on Wednesday. Opening track is wonderful and the rest none too shabby.

2 Likes

Martin Hayes and The Common Ground Ensemble Peggy’s Dream

New out and beautiful playing.

2 Likes

Martin Hayes Quartet
The Blue Room

Sam Sweeney Escape That ‘Ruby’

Sweeney taught himself to play by ear listening to his parents’ records.

Tradfolk - website new to me. https://tradfolk.co

Contains a link to an interesting resource:
The Vaughan Williams Memorial Library contains a Roud Index Songs are digitised and geolocated on a Google map.

1 Like

As suggested by Roon this morning … live 50th anniversary recorded at Cropredy.

4 Likes

Fairport (minus RT) are performing 20 July at Huntingdon Hall in the centre of Worcester.

We are seeing them at Hampton Pool on 21st July. Outdoors so you have to take whatever the weather is on the evening. You even get a free swim beforehand if you want.
Hampton can claim to be the childhood home of Julian Bream and Brian May so who knows Richard Thompson may turn up!

2 Likes

I last saw Fairport at Swarb’s benefit 6 March 1999. Who knows where the time goes? But I’ve seen RT fairly often since then.

2 Likes

I am hopeless with dates but I saw Fairport at the Half Moon in Putney about ? 15 years ago. It was in aid of Sandy Denny’s daughter, Georgia who was there. Saw them at Cropredy in 2009 and that was with RT. Cat Stephens also played. I think it was after a gap of many years. I seem to remember that his performance was previously unannounced. But I could be wrong.

3 Likes

We were up in Settle at the weekend and noticed that Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakemen will be at the Victoria Hall on 23rd April. Shame it wasn’t this weekend as I will not be able to make that one.

1 Like

As posted by the Unthanks … cause of death.

9 Likes

I do enjoy the Unthanks’ black sense of humour. Self-confessed miserablists, I believe, they always bring me joy.

Roger

2 Likes

Run through by Lord Donald’s second-best sword after a night of pleasure with Lady D? The lovers are buried in the same grave, with Lady D on top ‘because she was of noble kin.’ Sex, death and politics neatly encapsulated in ‘Matty Groves’ / Little Musgrave and Lady Barnard

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the Peggy’s Dream recommendation.

I have been a Martin Hayes fan ever since I heard Under the Moon and have followed his journey in The Gloaming and with Brooklyn Rider. But somehow this release passed me by, so once the extended Easter family visit was over, I downloaded a copy and have just listened through the album. And … what a wonderful collection! The brilliant playing varies from exquisite (Peggy’s Dream) to can’t-sit-still exuberance, with just enough spicy experimentation to flavour the mix to perfection.

This is already a big favourite so thanks again for bringing it to my attention, I’d have hated to miss it.

Roger

2 Likes