The folk thread

Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers. Tommy has lots of vibrato which you don’t encounter much these days.

1 Like

If you spend time with Rachel and Becky you’ll find that they are very different to how you might expect. I was really surprised at how much fun they are. They are just lovely, lovely people.

2 Likes

A recent discovery …

1 Like

Actually that’s exactly what I’d expect. The most recent gig of theirs I attended was when they toured their most recent album Sorrows Away and it was pure joy throughout, especially the enthusiastic audience participation when they concluded with the title track. Smiling faces all around as we left the auditorium.

My comment about claiming to be miserabalists was based on comments from the sisters themselves. Eg. Rachel “We’re miserable buggers underneath. … We are not afraid of it.”, Becky: “I get a bit traumatised to be honest when someone suggests we do a happy song.” And, yes, I recognise the ironical tone. But I do think this adds to the sympathetic, but utterly unsentimental and unpatronising, tone of so many of their songs.

Roger

2 Likes

Steeleye Span on German TV 1975. Rockpalast - glad they kept the tape.

5 Likes

Sinéad O’Connor Sean-Nós Nua

3 Likes

Sean-nós singing unaccompanied in the Irish language, Nell Ní Chróinín

2 Likes

Nell Ní Chróinín - A Bhríde Bheag Chróin (Sidmouth FolkWeek 2015)

A sunny day at Sidmouth.
The title means ‘My little auburn-haired Bridget’

2 Likes

This morning’s discovery, via Robert Tear singing RVW’s version of the Captain’s Apprentice.

2 Likes

Great version of from rags to ritches.

3 Likes

I heard this lady on Women’s hour this morning. She has released a album last year: small voyages. This, however, is an earlier release. She served in the merchant marine and is an harpist.

2 Likes

Sidmouth Festival Tribute to Paul Sartin

2 Likes

This morning has been a bit of a John Renbourn time, which threw up this:

I was intrigued, not strictly folk, but as JR used medieval themes in his music I thought I would add it here. Also, Hesperus was my division at school.

1 Like

Not heard this before, Sandy Denny singing Fhír a’ Bhàta (The Boatman literally Man of the Boat), English with Gaelic chorus.
https://mainlynorfolk.info/sandy.denny/songs/fhirabhata.html

4 Likes

Another discovery by way of Julie Fowlis.

1 Like

What a beautiful voice she had.

2 Likes

Sandy Denny will forever be associated (in my mind) with Led Zeppelin - her duet with Robert Plant on ‘The Battle Of Evermore’.

I must play that LP soon!

4 Likes

What about traditional banjo!

2 Likes

I think this is the 1966 recording, so she’d be 19. Beautiful voice.

2 Likes

Infused with Tolkien allusions too. Apparently 23 year old Plant was new to the mandolin. Sandy got her own symbol on the album as well.

2 Likes