The folk thread

A discovery by happy chance! I only heard her pipes on Saturday night and never her voice until now.

1 Like

Available on BBC Sounds (radio 4). Some great folk artists (Julie Fowlis and Duncan Chisholm) and writers and a journey across the Cuillin Ridge on the Isle of Skye.

2 Likes

Ah, Skye and the Black Cuillin! A very dangerous mountain - it looks benign, but walkers/climbers have to be rescued frequently.

1 Like

Including four members of the police mountain rescue team who had to be rescued themselves in an overnight operation in terrible weather.

Actually the Black Cuillin is a range of mountains rather than a single mountain. There are 11 Munros along the ridge, including the notorious Inaccessible Pinnacle which Munro himself never climbed.

Apologies for thread diversion.

Roger

4 Likes

This may go beyond the folk boundary for some … never mind. I find the variety refreshing.

3 Likes

I bought this following a mention by @twofifty in “what are you listening to…”.
So, why the folk thread?
Listening and reading the liner notes, reminded me of an explanation from Eliza Carthy, about to sing a music hall song learned from her father. He complained that she had changed one word in the chorus, she responds that folk is a living heritage, often learned by ear, so this happens.
In the liner notes it records records that Henske had her interest piqued by murder ballads in the Oxford Book of Poetry, no music, so she set them herself.
The styles vary, the background is definitely English “folk”, but I hear blues, country…
In my mind though there is still heritage, so it is folk.

4 Likes

Crikey, I really hope you’re enjoying Henske. Categorising music by genre is convenient I guess for record stores, magazines, reviewers etc but at home I just file Vinyl/CD from A - Z. Anything different and I’d be stuck with a pile of Simone’s albums (for instance) looking for a home. And where would you file Thompson’s 1000 Years of Popular Music?

1 Like

In general, I tend not to worry about labelling or genre, I posted this partly because there have been previous discussions here about “what is folk”. LPs get filed under artist, CDs loaded onto my Melco.
Nina Simone? Jazz, protest, it doesn’t really matter.
Richard Thompson, in many ways, folk, because as a solo performer, or with Linda, I always saw him in folk clubs (in fact, the first song I recall hearing him sing, possibly with Linda was The Honeysuckle and The Bee, a music hall song), but then, that was where I also saw Fred Wedlock and Jasper Carrot. Equally, when I was young, Dylan, Cohen, Paxton were folk singers, possibly artists like them were labelled as folk because they played acoustic guitars?
Sadly, some people I know would not listen to an artist if you said they sang folk, played jazz etc.

3 Likes

Lively evening listening

1 Like

Recommended by an old friend from my training days.

2 Likes

I have this CD - very good.

1 Like

This was a recommendation that came under the heading of British Folk. I’ll let you explore, but I have more to say later.

I’m enjoying the album. Not so sure I could listen to it over and over again, probably needs a song behind the instrumental to draw me in.

1 Like

How about with an Oud added @kaypeejay ?

1 Like

I recognised the name, but not the album cover. Did some searching and when you add in Bristol, Sam Sweeney, Rowan Elliott, Sid Goldsmith and Rowan Rheingans, it all makes sense.
I’ve only listened via Bandcamp so far, there is a vague familiarity that suggests I have heard parts before.
I had promised myself that I will not buy more this year, but is is my kind of thing and bookmarked for the future.

1 Like

Still struggling to sing along :grinning:

1 Like

Have you tried a finger in your ear?
But seriously … I just hum along.

1 Like

Last night we caught Martin Carthy in conversation and singing a handful of songs at The Haymarket in Basingstoke. He was delightful, quite frail but pretty sharp and a very good memory for the past 60 years of his career. Sadly the theatre was about 20% full, what a shame, he’s touring this and I would highly recommend it especially if you’re interested in guitars and their tunings! A national treasure.

5 Likes

I intended to see him at the Manchester Folk Festival event last week but unfortunately my current ill health ruled it out.

Off to see Gigspanner Big Band in Worcester tomorrow. So listened to Peter Knight this morning as a warm-up.
https://www.gigspanner.com/gigspanner-big-band

Peter Knight~Violin
Roger Flack~Guitar
Sacha Trochet~Drums
Hannah Martin ~ Violin~Banjo~Tenor Guitar
Phillip Henry~Dobro~Harmonica
John Spiers~Melodeon