The folk thread

Not heard that before. Listened to a few and it is a good album. Thanks @Stokie

2 Likes

In his autobiography ‘Beeswing’ Richard Thompson confesses to having a sneaky read of Joni Mitchell’s lyrics notebook while she was on stage. Thompson has sung and recorded covers of her songs throughout his career. ‘Eastern Rain’ is on Fairport’s ‘What we did on our Holidays’

Two of Joni’s songs, ‘Chelsea Morning’ and ‘I don’t know where I stand’ feature on Fairport Convention’s first LP in 1968.

Here’s Thompson singing her ‘Woodstock’ and ‘Black Crow’ from a tribute to Joni Mitchell in 2000.

2 Likes

I didn’t listen to The Owl Service until I joined the forum. The name of the band comes from the novel by Alan Garner (1967) which retells the myth of Blodeuwedd from the Mabigonion. Steven Collins led the band from 2006 for ten years. An EP was released this June on Bandcamp and there is talk of another LP.

Standing on the Shore via You Tube.
First track from Dog Days, Devil Fish & Darkest England : Songs & Tunes From 25 Years Of The Leigh Folk Festival.

Dog days

Steven Collins seems to adopt a DIY approach to the music industry. This is a hard road for many musicians. But I’m glad they are reformed. ‘His Pride. No Spear. No Friend’ was their previous CD/LP 2016.

1 Like

McGoldrick, McCusker and Doyle are brilliant especially live.

Tim

3 Likes

Richard Thomson, Serpent’s Tears, EP downloaded from Bandcamp - a while ago but not played until now. (All new songs, I think)

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, I listened a few times back in May, haven’t listened since, looking at the WAYLT thread I described it as classic Richard Thompson songs.

1 Like

Yes, Eoink, you’re right. ‘Bloody Noses’ also on Bandcamp is also new songs, while ‘Live from London’ recording (which I have also) is selections from streamed concerts and covers a wide range of his back catalogue. He has a couple of dates for performances in UK, in August. But the earlier dates are postponed. https://www.richardthompson-music.com/tour-dates/

1 Like

I was booked to see him at Cropredy and Pocklington. :cry:

Let’s hope Cropredy next year will see him in action again.

1 Like

Karine Polwart, my favourite Scottish singer/songwriter. She’s made several albums over 15 years or more but ‘This Earthly Spell’ is one of the best. Her later work involves poetry and storytelling for which she has been much lauded.

8 Likes

The British Isles???

I went to a folk festival (Ely) last weekend. In person, with a beer tent! Such a diverse set of artists, as I always find to be the case at folk festivals. Highlight for me was the Joshua Burnell Band who, if I had to, I’d describe as Prog Folk

1 Like

Not my thread, but I’d use the phrase folk music of Britain and Ireland, would you prefer the Atlantic Archipelago? @Camphuw might comment? We are a fairly eclectic bunch in this thread.

and Galicia.

Of course, just joking.

1 Like

I’m all for an eclectic mix.

1 Like

How about some Galician folk?

I suspect that the commonly used phrase in some parts of the UK ‘The British Isles’ is perceived to assert a territorial claim over The Republic of Ireland. This is why the Irish government doesn’t use this phrase.

We don’t talk about ‘mainland UK’ either!

I’m well aware of that. I’ll remove the word ‘mainland’.

You probably know Carlos NĂșñez, the Galician musician. NĂșñez is a virtuoso of flutes and bagpipes, and has collaborated with The Chieftains and other folk musicians in the Isles.

You may know the work Santiago, which I think is a summary of the above paragraph.

I will try to find more about Galicia folk music and share.

2 Likes