The future for NAC- N 272

Thank you all very much for your informed answers to my question. Many people, in fact most of you, think I should keep the 272 and combine it with another external device, whichever combination I end up with. As I said, I bought the 272 this year hoping that Tidal/Naim would give me the ability to play 24 bit Flac. I’m going to shoot a white arrow at that, it probably won’t happen.

2 Likes

Hifi dog
This Project streamer, is it just plug and play and does it have its own sound? I mean it only works as a steaming link, right? Is music streaming still controlled through the Tidal software on my iPad?

I’ve always been very happy with my 272/XPS since buying it. HiRes can be served up with any Server and Tidal Connect by a WiiM Mini or other such device.

2 Likes

Plug n play with usb out and it has its own app from project . I used mine as Roon endpoint .

1 Like

Thats a good question. Thanks

If you’re going to use a separate streamer into the 272 you should choose one with an SPDIF output - coax or optical, but preferably coax. A USB output could be used but you would need a USB to SPDIF converter.

1 Like

Sonos Port, coax out into 272 dac?

The older Sonos Connect sounded pretty poor as a digital front end. Haven’t tried a Port, or heard comments from others here, but personally I wouldn’t choose it without having a good listen first.

Ah I didn’t know it did not have usb in., in that case the s2 is no good… the ifi zen streamer has digital coax out so id go for that

Have you compared the two, or is that just speculation?

Using a streaming front end (esp inferior products like Node) defeats the purpose of a streaming pre-amp. If you go that route you might as well sell the 272 and get a 282 or similar. It doesn’t take that much effort to set up Bubblesoft and you can use the Linn App to control which is pretty good. Used it for years and the hires from Qobuz/Tidal sound sublime.

I use a Meridian Explorer Mk 1 on the USB DAC output of my Zenith Mk 3, converts USB to SPDIF optical directly - if you can find one. Note the Mk 2 deleted the optical output.

ATB, J

That’s a fair question given the huge amount of ownership bias and opinion dressed as fact one sees online, but I spent quite a lot of time listening on several occasions before buying an NDX, so no, it’s not just speculation.

What do you mean by this?:thinking:

1 Like

Ok, thanks👍

Hi jmtennapel

Thank you very much for your detailed description and for going so enthusiastically into this topic about my NAC 272. It is very much appreciated
Do I understand you correctly that I can completely avoid these DAC boxes you have described before, and then just run with the software part from Audirvana from my Mac? So connect my 272 streamer through the Audirvana software and play my music from this program over the 272? Will the music from there be properly unpacked for true high res? Can my Streamer 272 utilize these file formats from this software? The DAC boxes you mentioned sounded like they were necessary for my purpose. Thanks in advance

This DAC box sounded a bit appealing and as one I should consider when I look at the specifications, but it sticks out a bit with the red color compared to the black Naim Setup I have :wink:

Thank you very much :slight_smile: So why all the fuss with the DAC box, which by the way goes well together with 24 bit conversion. Is it just an extra link I can do without, or will it be even better with the box and Audirvana as software? Sorry to cut things out like that, I’m getting a little confused in this hunt for 24 bit, there are so many factors at play and options. Otherwise, you come up with really nice explanations for a solution for my 272. Thank you once again, and for your patience

Thank you so much for your good explanation. Bets regards Peter

You can get hires on the 272 with bubble soft of minimserver on something as simple as a NAS. Bubblesoft is free and the SQ with Qobuz is pretty great.

1 Like