The future of Hi-fi shows

Naim that tune - you’re right I would be similarly wary unless they were people I had got to know through here. Chances are though compared to many on here I have one of the more modest systems though and some wouldn’t consider it worthy of the second summer house in the garden lol!!!

It seems a great shame about the shows although I can understand and sympathise with the organisers and the need to stem transmission. It will be interesting to see if the CES goes ahead in the USA next month.

I think Dogwalker raises a very valid point!! Good to hear daventry was a success.

Lets hope that somehow we are able to get on top of this virus again and keep it suppressed so the arts can be protected as well as the NHS. It’s a tragedy for the arts that things are going wrong again - I was supposed to be at Barrowlands seeing Del Amitri but that too was cancelled last week. At the end of the day I guess the band or promoter lost money on that and its hard to see how those losses can be sustained in the longer term year in year out…

I guess looking at the glass half full it would seem Omicron is less deadly than Delta so maybe we should be hoping that less and less dangerous variants emerge progressively until it becomes a benign illness. I’m no microbiologist or viral expert but people tell me that’s what often happens and I guess the 1918 flu epidemic eventually blew itself out.

Jonathan

I think an important point is to support ALL shows that are conduits for the performing arts - music, theatre, dance and art. Our attendance allows for that artistic expression to be seen and heard. Otherwise the internet and AI will take over.

Black humour but food for thought - my wife is a scientist and will talk at length about what’s really going on. Her colleagues joke that ‘Omicron’ is an anagram for Moronic.

3 Likes

It’s nothing to do with HiFi shows, but your comment about supporting live events reminds me that I heard an interview with a solo performer who normally works in a theatre setting but experimented with doing it on zoom. To make it more like a real performance, she only had 20 or so in the audience and insisted that they all had their cameras and microphones turned on throughout the performance.

She said this had worked pretty well, but while she was used to the occasional member of the audience getting up to go off to the toilet during her performance, in the theatre setting they usually had their trousers on…….

2 Likes

I guess it depends what you want. Bristol is useful for a room to room “browse” but if you want to do serious listening then dealer events are bound to be better

I concluded the timing of the cancellation of the Bristol show was most likely a combination of greater uncertainty caused by omicron, and the payment/signing of contracts for venue hire and for exhibitors.

Insurance may have also bee a concern for the event organisers - I know at the moment it is hard to near impossible for bands to obtain insurance against cancellation as a result of Covid-19 outbreaks - running a show of that size, and potentially having to cancel closer to the time, may have just been too much of a financial risk for the organisers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.