The future of Naim streamers

True. However, if Roon is still around then and it hasn’t been bettered then I would expect it or similar to be available on Naim streamers. No guarantee of course so I would just have to look elsewhere if it wasn’t.

As the sound quality has nothing to do with it, I will take the cool interface.

1 Like

Not agree with you on that point, as some here who found using Roon inferior vs the Naim app and inferior vs Innuos sense for example, with 500 series systems.
But my point was that people tend to focus a lot on Roon, functionalities, Air Play, Playlist, Metadata, ….and less on the sound of the Naim streamers. A lot compare streamers from different brands on these aspects, not really the sound.

That’s interesting b/c I find Naim streamer fronted systems to be much better than CD player fronted systems. In my case CDS2 and later CDS3 with 252/SC2, 200 and later 250.2. My current system of 272/555PS/250DR is far more enjoyable and hits all the hifi sonic superlatives than did the CDS3 fronted system I had prior to streaming. Though I’ve wondered how much of the improvement is related to streaming v CD or other system improvements, network optimization, powerlines, DR on the 250 etc.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not going to go over this once again, everything that needs to be said has been said in the previous Roon sound threads. I have as much evidence and as many technical reasons for my toothpaste influencing the sound of Naim streamers.

1 Like

We’re not done yet! What about playing UPnP using the buttons on the front panel instead compared to the Naim App? :thinking::wink:

1 Like

Toothpaste not , but cotton swabs, maybe.

1 Like

How would you know if you can’t hear it. I am telling you that there is a clear difference.

1 Like

If that was supposed to be a yes to my question - it is not comparable in any way, and it’s a no

I agree with others that the current streamers will be around for a good while yet. The app may develope a little more, but will never reach the functionality of Roon.

I think what we will see is the eventual 372 type product that will not be upgradable with a seperate power supply and will have the low power standby like the Uniti’s.

3 Likes

As a minor diversion, how do you change from an annual subscription to a lifetime license?

I have on several occasions stated my view that vinyl is inherently more flawed than well-done digital, and indeed I have no regrets whatsoever about disposing of my turntable and digitising my LPs. When I think about it I do miss the tactile and almost mystical experience of opening an album, extracting the disk, placing on the turntable and then the anticipatory click of the stylus lowering and hiss of the lead-in groove, while studying the beautiful artwork, however the sound quality is key, with digital far better. (Of course, I could have kept the physical albums and enjoyed them while playing the digital recording…

2 Likes

I bought lifetime a week into my trial or so, but this is from roonlabs dot com slash pricing:

CAN I SWITCH FROM ONE BILLING OPTION TO ANOTHER?

You can choose to switch to another billing option at any time, just visit your account page.

If you’re switching between monthly and yearly billing, you will be charged $12.99 (monthly) or $119.88 (yearly) at the end of your current billing period.

If you switch to the lifetime billing option during your free trial, you will be billed $699.99 when your trial ends. If you switch during the first 30 days after a charge for a yearly subscription, you will only pay the difference, $580.11. At any other time, or if you’re switching from a monthly subscription, you will pay the full $699.99. No full or partial refunds will be granted for prior payments.

2 Likes

The future of Naim streamers will be based on new power supply technology. The new power supplies will include batteries and chargers, and will produce zero noise. This will increase SQ.

The new PS technology will then migrate to preamplifiers, phono amplifiers, all-in-one boxes and even other brands.

1 Like

I can hear it because, probably, I am not contaminated by certain knowledge.

Nagra was using batteries ps before, but went for big linear ps , like Naim, with their HD series. They found it works better.
All the stuff I could try using SMPS, even of high quality, tend to have, in my opinion, a bit of a lean sound. Clean, transparent, but a bit lean.
Just some thoughts.

I think you may have missed @Suedkiez humour…:thinking:

1 Like

Maybe you have too much knowledge about toothpaste if you can’t hear the difference it makes.

1 Like

I have never used Roon, so can’t comment on whether it is any good or not. I guess two key factors as to whether people feel the price is justified, or not, are:-

1. Do they have a library of offline stored music (I don’t) as well as using a streaming service.
  2. How good is the existing music app. That they use.
    I have used the NAIM App and now use the dCS App for my dCS stuff. Both are passable, but neither can store Qobuz favourites into alphabetical order, which is frustrating.
1 Like

For point 1) I’d still use Roon regardless. The ability to using bookmarks, tags and ratings is great.

1 Like