The Garden House Topic

We found a local architect, who worked closely with a handful of local builders/trades. That set up means they all trust each other, and have vested interests in making it work well. They should also be able to sort a half decent estimate out.

I have to say, this is in hindsight, we didn’t know it up front.

Can I ask how many rooms/bathrooms (total area?), dormers? And did the roof need raising or replacing as part of it?

We were given an estimate of £80-100k for Design and build of two bedrooms both with en-suites but not including the bathroom fittings, with a long dormer one side, and full staircase - but they said we needed to replace the double hipped roof with a double gable to fit it in.

Is anyone aware of ‘open source’ / stock designs on the market? I have seen an interesting house for which the design drawings & material bill costs USD 5000.

A bit different, but you can certainly buy houses in kit form in UK, and have been able to for decades. I would have thought plans would similarly be available.

Edit: In fact I do seem to recall published books of plans for self-builders back in the 1980s - IIRC you simply picked one and bought tge full plans, and for a small sum could request simple modifications such as moving a window or internal wall.

You certainly can :slight_smile:

1 main room, no bathroom. No dormers due to planning restrictions (conservation area) but 2 whopping Velux push out balcony things. One chimney breast removed. Original roof and floors were retained, but additional timber to take the loads. All roof slates ended up being replaced - it was an old roof anyway. Give or take 6850x6850.

No expert, but yours seems a reasonable price to me.

The push out balcony widows are great, as they allow the floor to go most of the way out to the eaves. As we couldn’t add dormers the floor space added was nice to have

I can send photos if you want, shout at Richard for my email and I’ll send some along.

Thanks, that helps put in perspective.

1 Like

Ah, 10%! That’s good to know, thanks :slight_smile: (helps to read threads properly!)

1 Like

Agree with Camphuw - for a build cost of 100k, Architects fees will be anywhere from 6-10% depending on the services provided and probably capped at 10%. Obviously, as the build cost goes up the percentage comes down.

If you go with a company that supplies a pre-fab solution, they will almost certainly include any planning application work necessary in the price, or give it as an option.

The example you posted looks quite large, more like a second home, but here is a link to some small, but interesting Architect designed studio buildings of various types, in various countries. If you also do a search on the web site you will find some very well designed garden buildings to inspire. Dezeen is a great resource for anything design orientated.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.