The Grand Cafe

Almost there.

The constructor has been working 5 or 6 days now and will be back end Jan to complete it. It needs to dry.

It’s a piece of pure beauty. I’ve been sitting in my listening spot over an hour just looking to this object.

It costs well over 10k but worth every penny. I want another one.

5 Likes

That’s serious piece of kit.

3 Likes

Is it a fire place?

4 Likes

I’m glad you asked I was going too but didn’t want to in case it was too obvious. :grin:

5 Likes

Yes it is. It’s a traditional Swedish masonry heater. Very efficient and it stores the heat.

3 Likes

I just found out that I often prefer mono recordings of solo instrument music. Stereo just doesn’t make sense. Who wants a three metre wide soundstage of a solo violinist?

The unfortunate issue is that I don’t prefer the old style of playing.

Sigh. What to choose? An artificially wide recording of the Goldberg variationen or an outdated interpretation?

I thought it was a speaker :woozy_face:

5 Likes

An SBL can indeed be seen there. Don’t tell purists that it’s on two chunks of loose flooring at the moment - still sounding great.

2 Likes

I know exactly how it feels! Congratulations to a piece of Swedish cultural treasure … and to a very good Kakelugn! :ok_hand::grin:

2 Likes

Adding: thanks to the new fireplace, we could move the left loudspeaker out by 50 cm which gives me an equilateral triangular listening position. It’s like everything fits together just right.

3 Likes

Great, I was worried it might be an unauthorised power supply……

4 Likes

Nah, it’s 5kW. What is a Statement? 1 kW?

Are you selling your house before the new one will be ready @Pete_the_painter? I guess you need to be closer for the build anyway?

Yes, we haven’t quite worked out that next stage. I’m waiting for the agent to give some direction and we may yet postpone till Easter. I think I may need to pack my studio up which also means boxing up system 1.

1 Like

Do that last and throw it in the back of the car on the day you leave. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m not that fussed in strangers seeing it either.

By the way, speaking of pure beauty … Just wait until you have lit the first fire in it!:ok_hand::blush:

2 Likes

Was in a supermarket yesterday and couldn’t believe that there’s hot cross buns for sale already. We’re still eating leftovers from Christmas.

4 Likes

It’s anticipated there will be a hot cross bun shortage by March. Supermarket advice is to stock up and place them in the freezer NOW!
Similar advice for Easter eggs :hatching_chick:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: