The Grand Cafe

Is that like a few sneaky but deadlys. :grin::grin:

1 Like

Mums the word. Finished with a double shot coffee…

1 Like

I’ve got the in-laws here they’re watching Midsummer Murders or some other old BBC thingy. I’m hiding downstairs with a gin and tonic or 2.

1 Like

I’ve run out of coffee, need to go to the shop. Big issue getting painful.

1 Like

My goodness what are you doing with your copy of the Big Issue to cause you pain?

3 Likes

As a kid I was taught violin, maybe aged 8 to 12 or so. I was told I had a good ear, but didn’t really gel with it and, as I guess with most kids, I didn’t like practising and in the 1960s it was very uncool, with other people learning guitar. I gave up, and parents said I’d regret it. I said I wouldn’t. They were right!

However that was not the end for my violin playing: At about age 18 I dug it out, painted it black, and electrified it with home-made pickups, and from time to time made a noise with it, but didn’t progress - a few years late my younger brother had a friend who wanted an electric violin to play in a band, and I lent it. Unfortunately it was never given back…

Roll on another 20-30 years and I picked one up cheap, took it to a luthier and had it adjusted and set up properly, which made a lot of difference to playability. And then started to play a bit (no lessons) and found a very big difference in my own ability, which I put down to two things: firstly I wanted to, and secondly - and quite significantly - I found I had a feel for the music, finding that unlike as a kid when I stood there woodenly holing the violin and bow, I now move with the sound, bending and rocking at least my whole upper body- and the violin responds!

After I retire next year I intend to put serious time into learning to play the instruments I have properly (violin, guitar, keyboard, and while he still lives at home my son’s cello, otherwise I’ll have to get one as I love its sound.

2 Likes

I was hoping that COVID and working from home might encourage me to pick up my guitar and actually learn, alas I find my self working even longer hours than ever.

Must try harder

1 Like

Took Piano lessons as a kid, I was pretty good and went up as far as Grade 3, hated it though with all the scales and arpeggios etc and eventually gave it up, my Mum was disappointed and said I’d really regret it when I was older, as always she was right! However if I had been taught in a less formal way with music I actually enjoyed I probably would have kept it up.

2 Likes

A story very similar to my own.

Would be like a bear with sore head if that happened

1 Like

Just got the coffee restocked

No need for big machines this is what I use for 10 years now

2 Likes

Seriously just buy one now, internet is a great place to get you going again, it’s actually cool to be a music teacher now!

I have been following ‘Justinguitar’ for guitar obvs he is very good, I am sure that there must be an equivalent for keys or piano

2 Likes

I think i’ll stick to my Londinium for now :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I thought that too. One of my sons had piano lessons, and was progressing slowly, but a change if teacher, who brought in other things with a jazzier style and some rock n roll piano and not focussing on grades and he regained interest …which included doing the grades!

1 Like

Sorry guys. View from the bedroom this morning. Tomorrow is the longest day :sunglasses:

7 Likes

What does the other machine do apart from show bright lights?

It’s a coffee grinder! (Eureka Atom)

5 Likes

BTDT… The Atom is a brilliant grinder.

Just finished off a double espresso :slight_smile:

1 Like

This cafe just isn’t the same without @Pete_the_painter here. I do hope his son is ok and Pete’s absence is just that he’s busy with other things.

Sending you and your family best wishes from the UK Pete.

Best

David

3 Likes

Oh I’d missed the news about Pete’s son, just spotted it now. I echo David, I hope all’s well, take care of yourself and have a lovely Christmas Pete.
Cheers,
Eoin

1 Like