The Grand Cafe

I shouldn’t type while I walk the dog. Apparently I’m not good at 2 things at once.

Actually I’m fairly sure you would incur a two week managed isolation period upon entry to NZ anyway Pete. If I’m right you’d be better off staying home. Managed isolation means sitting in a Hotel Room for two weeks. You don’t get to choose the Hotel either.
Pretty sure its still mandatory.

Yes I’d say you’re right, we wouldn’t be going till late February/March and I don’t think things will change too much by than either. I

Stay home Pete - see what happens around springtime , I’m booked for Queenstown Christmas but who knows

Lady I work with has postponed their wedding twice in Queenstown hopefully she gets the deed done this year

Sorry you may have missed it early in the thread. My mate has a year at best and we were talking about one more road trip before he leaves. It started off a trip to the Barossa, he keeps changing his mind.

1 Like

Why don’t you plan it all and tell him where he’s going?

I’m going to, otherwise he start thinking we can get to Thailand. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I rarely evict spiders - just periodically clear away their webs, if they have any. Useful things, spiders - they keep down the insects.

Yep, us humans can’t keep squashing everything we don’t like. We need to learn to live it.

That reminds me of my mum talking about a mouse that used to appear on her hearth in the evening. One evening she managed to catch it and released it humanely in the garden. It was cold and raining hard so she had to go and change her cardie. When she got back to her chair, the mouse was already back on the hearth. She said “I could see the rain drops on its fur!”

1 Like

The talk of spider webs reminds me of when I moved into my current home. Lifting floorboards to start rewiring, replumbing and adding ventilation ducting and insulation, I found several rat skeletons, no doubt they died as a result of poisoning. Around each one were hundreds (maybe thousands) of old fly pupa cases. Entering the eaves spaces and the low loft (it’s a chalet bungalow) I found spider webs like in horror movies, draped like curtains hanging heavily across the space, multiple ones each less than a foot behind the previous one.

I used an old broom handle as a tool to twirl around and remove the bulk of them, it ending up with a mass looking like a mop on the end. It wasn’t pleasant in spaces that were crawling height only! Fortunately being in Britain I didn’t need to be concerned about disturbing anything poisonous.

I think it’s more walking into the web than the spider, Mrs Pete cracks up as I dance around trying brush off webs while walking the dog.

We have a spider catcher gizmo which works really well.

It has some soft brushes to catch and hold the spider so you can relocate it elsewhere. It doesn’t harm the spider and it’s nice to see it scurrying off to somebody else’s home!

It probably might not work as well on the enormous spiders on other continents but for the relative tiddlers in the UK it’s excellent.

1 Like

That’s a excellent gadget, beats the jar and piece of cardboard trick.

1 Like

It’s true we should treat them with more respect, a lot of people that get bitten by a snake in Aus often have a shovel in the hand. It’s nearly always just safer to let them be. They don’t like us and will try and stay out of our way most of the time.

2 Likes

Just an update on Glenda the spider, she’s settle in and now has a special friend, poor fool has no idea.

It’s not a great photo cause I’m just not getting any closer. Her friend is the dot on the top just below the timber. I’ll try and get a better photo (probably after a few drinks).

1 Like

There are some really cool time lapse youtube clips of spiders building webs, amazing creatures!

1 Like

@igahman & @Innocent_Bystander, I was on my virtual way to the chessclub and ran out of credits. My responses to the games will come.

(homeschooling with 4 kids, continuing work (increasingly more fragmented), a working wife makes things busy but I’m sure we will look back to this time with good feelings).

By the way, we all can now give flowers to our wifes / girlfriends and genuinly like giving it:

No fake, real Legos!

You think?!

We’ll certainly look back but I’m not sure with “good times”.