The Grand Cafe

What she doesn’t realise is that although the Earth is flat (well, not strict
Y flat as it has bumps called mountains), it of course has a flip side, which is where there are lots of strange things, possibly dragons, or two headed beasts … and Australia! The problem is, she’s never dug down like the rest of us did as kids, because if she had she’d know!

1 Like

Are we in Terry Pratchett country ?

1 Like

Did he know about Australia?

1 Like

Think it’s exactly like Geoff said it’s just clickbate. These people just couldn’t be that dumb, there was a guy in the States that ran with the “fact” that birds didn’t exist they were drones.

It’s just their 15 minutes of fame, and the internet is a perfect place to air (and sometimes profit from) these hair brain theories.

2 Likes

Since 1990 the official US spelling is aluminium although aluminum is usually the spoken version in the US. Early on the Americans adopted Humphry Daveys original spelling of aluminum from the early 19 th century. The British scientific establishment altered the end to ium to make it more Latinate and consistent with other element endings.

2 Likes

I agree Mike. I am thinking if replacing the 272/555dr with a Linn Selekt , with their Katalyst DAC as a streaming preamp, into my 250DR. I like the way it is modular and upgradable. I suspect however that it may not sound as good.

2 Likes

Hey Pete

When you had your systems up and running in your previous home did you just use the uniti serve with the atom ?

Unitiserve not into your main system ?

Thanks

I had the UnitiServe away from all of them, it sat in my office on the desk (it was closer to my Muso). I use to have it in the rack with my main system and plugged in directly but I found it had no different to having it played through the network. My network was all hardwired.

I’ve got the Core sitting next to the Atom now but it’s only connected through the network.

Yes, it was lampooned gently , in some of the Discworld books :closed_book:

I don’t know if it you can do this in NZ but in UK it is possible to pick up a second hand previous version of the Linn Klimax DSM (which still looks brilliant) for around £5k and have it upgraded with Organik DAC by Linn for just over £5k giving you a fab streamer/DAC/preamp for around £10k. There is a review of doing this on StereoNet

1 Like

Is it a difficult process to upgrade Crispy D?

I’m not sure both NZ and Australia have the trained personnel to perform this if it is ?

Certainly a positive way to upgrade though which Naim don’t provide

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything Linn other than their turntables. I do know their new stuff is incredibly expensive here.

How are Naim boxes at sharing a power block with a Linn switching mode supply?

It sure is Pete

Top LP12 $48k (and likely to go up )

Top Streamer $60k

The Akurate DMS streamer is around $18k but that includes inbuilt preamp

Couple that with the Akurate amp probably around say $27k all up

No power supplies required etc etc

But different sound to Naim

I genuinely don’t know how possible it would be in NZ @Bevo. It just seems like a (relatively) cost effective way of getting a top notch unit

Yes agree a relatively cost effective way to get a great upgrade - big plus for Linn

I think Linn over the years have had it pretty tough in Aus

Apart from their TT’s ( which are successful) , and potentially now their streamer range, I’ve never seen or heard their range of Amps and Speakers . They tend to push active speakers which could put off some customers

Harry use to carry both Naim and Linn I think when he was in Balmain. But as I said never heard them, I can imagine it’s a different sound to Naim.

Thanks, Idak

Yes a mate of mine bought a full CD based Linn system from him and it was well priced and sounded really good

As you well know I’m a huge fan of the LP12 , had 3 models of their speakers which were very good but never went for other pieces

1 Like