The Grand Cafe

That’s not very Christian like. :grin:

I’m an atheist :crazy_face:

Definitely keep PS if you’re getting a streamer (NDX2) it does add a little weight to the overall presentation. There’s a lot of upgrades that I have to struggle to hear the difference but adding a PS to my steamers really did beef up the sound.

2 Likes

You’ll have to look closely, but we had dolphins visiting today:

6 Likes

Miss Mike getting some sea air to help clear a cold:

5 Likes

Looks like a great day, I love dolphins.

Getting rid of this current cold/flu isn’t easy I’ve been trying to shake it off since we came back from Melbourne. Salt air always good for the soul and spirit, hope Miss Mikes in on the mend.

2 Likes

When I was looking for a streamer last year, I tried the NDX2 and didn’t like it as I welt it was a bit harsh and aggressive with my 282/SC 250. I tried the Linn Akurate DS with the Naim amps and it was much better but still had the Naim signature. That might be worth a try as the Linn DS (streamer) will be cheaper than a Linn DSM (streamer/pre). @DiggyGun has just gone for a Linn Klimax DS3 which is the last of the Klimax Streamers and it can be upgraded to the latest Organik DAC if you want to at a later date.
Just worth bearing in mind that you don’t have to abandon the Naim amps and sound if you get a Linn streamer.

My ever helpful dealer said the same thing. Get the Klimax DSM and put it through the NAP 250 DR. Would be interesting comparing the Klimax against the NDX2/555 PS/252/SC, both with the 250. At new pricing, they would be pretty close too. 4 Naim boxes with cables and a Burndy, versus a single box…

I know reviews aren’t everything, but what HiFi rated the Klimax above the ND555, and the Nova above the Select DS (with the upgraded DAC). The Klimax would be cheaper than a ND555, 252, 250 system too.

1 Like

I’m not sure how the DSM would sound going into the NAP 250. My dealer wasn’t keen on that option. I tried a DS into a 282/SC 250 and eventually a DSM into Linn amps. I think there needs to be a synergy between pre and power amps.

Spot on - so me it’s the NDX2

Don’t get me wrong -tough decision to go Linn

1 Like

Stick with those black boxes.

2 Likes

Yes and it goes through a 282 / SC / SNAXO242 / 250DR x 2 / Kudos Titan 606

When I auditioned the streamers, I listened to;

• Naim NDX2
  • Linn Klimax DS3 / Katalyst
  • Linn Klimax DS3 / Organik

These went into a 282/ SC / 250dr / Titan 606 to natch my system as close as possible.

We preferred the sound of the KDS/K over the Naim. It was a lot more detailed, revealing, open and greater sound stage. Just a more pleasing sound and sounded fuller which was very noticeable. There was a difference with the KDS/O over the KDS/K, with the KDS/O again Ewing more detailed, but not such a big difference.

The streamer has settled in lovely at home and we are very much enjoying it. Just playing around with different cables at the moment.

For many years I was virtually 100% Naim…and still am predominately…

I had NDS & 555PS DR, however became disillusioned with Naim streamer obsolescence so went with Linn for streaming.

Next week I home demo the new Chord pre-amp with Chord power amp…should be interesting…

1 Like

Yes, I don’t think I’d favour mixing a pre and power amp between bands. I’m a bit anal like that.

In the vast majority of cases a preamp is just that, likewise a power amp, and input/output impedances and levels pretty standard, so there is absolutely no demerit in using one brand with another, and you can match whatever preamp is or suits best with whatever power amp is or suits best. That is a beauty of separates, as well as minimising interference from high level signals affecting low levels.
Naim claim that the two are part of the amplification chain and each depends on having the other for best performance, or words to that effect. Provided care is taken to ensure appropriate loading (IIRC Naim has slightly non-standard impedance, but not so odd that there would be any difficulty finding something suitable to pair) then I am not convinced. And it is hardly surprising that they would say that - I guess most manufacturers would similarly say you get the best by pairing their own products.

1 Like

Years ago I found that I liked the combination of a Naim pre amp with a Krell power amp. But not the converse.

It happened during a dealer demo of a pair of Wilson Puppy speakers. The Naim power amp simply wasn’t up to job, so the dealer swapped out the Naim power amp and substituted a Krell.

The rest, as they say, is history. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have some flies in my living room. That’s not really a problem, but they seem to copulate all day when not eating my fruit.

1 Like

There is some weird stuff going on with Naim gear in NZ. The new dealer has a ND555/555PS on sale with a whopping $10K discount. This added to the NDX2 with a free Muso and there is some huge markups on the standard pricing and I wonder if the streamers are being cleared out……

2 Likes

Mike sounds like they’re trying to move stock, the question is why. Heavily discounted gear is not great for our resale.

2 Likes

Perhaps they speculatively ordered several items pre price increase that they hoped somebody would order while they were being built and shipped as they wouldn’t have to pay for them until shipped. Now they have arrived they need to recover the outlay. The ND555 could just be a cancelled order that the dealer wants to shift. Many reasons, but as you say, not good for s/h pricing.

2 Likes